Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Must stop breastfeeding because of medication. Advice please

Default Must stop breastfeeding because of medication. Advice please

Hi everyone,
    My little girl turned 8 months today. She has been EBF since birth. We made it through a nipple shield for 3 months, going back to work and pumping, and a day care that once fed her 8 oz of BM because that's what the formula kids get. However, last week I found out I was pregnant and my progesterone is only 8. So like my prior pregnancy my Dr. wants me to go on Metformin and progesterone. Both which are not safe for breastfeeding.
    I have about 5oz a day of frozen BM for the next month. Any suggestions - - what formula and how much for a 23 lb 8 month old girl. When should I give her the breast milk, in the morning as a first bottle, or a night before bed? Really sad, and anxious, I wanted to make it the full first year

Thanks,
    B

Default Re: Must stop breastfeeding because of medication. Advice pl

Are you sure about needing to stop due to the medications? Can you call InfantRisk to discuss this and see what they recommend? (806) 352-2519. I have InfantRisk's medication app, and both Metformin and progesterone are listed as category L3, probably safe for breastfeeding.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Thank you! I will call them. But my husband is a physician and would rather have me formula feed then give her the hormones in progesterone.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    Are you sure about needing to stop due to the medications? Can you call InfantRisk to discuss this and see what they recommend? (806) 352-2519. I have InfantRisk's medication app, and both Metformin and progesterone are listed as category L3, probably safe for breastfeeding.

I think that for questions about formula, you should discuss with your child's pediatrician. Not because we're so anti-formula here that we won't even discuss it, but rather because most of us just don't know much about formula. I mean, generic, brand name, hypoallergenic, fortified with this and that? We just don't know. And I think you want to have that conversation even if you do continue to nurse, because most women find that their supply tanks during pregnancy and end up needing to use some formula even if they never intended to.

You might want to have your DH call Infant Risk and discuss with them. If he gets that sort of "medical professional to medical professional" assurance, he might feel more confident about you nursing rather than switching to formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, that is exactly how a feel. The ped gave me a recommendation but it isn't organic. RAWR...a bit defeated today.
    Thank you for your help!
    B

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think that for questions about formula, you should discuss with your child's pediatrician. Not because we're so anti-formula here that we won't even discuss it, but rather because most of us just don't know much about formula. I mean, generic, brand name, hypoallergenic, fortified with this and that? We just don't know. And I think you want to have that conversation even if you do continue to nurse, because most women find that their supply tanks during pregnancy and end up needing to use some formula even if they never intended to.

You might want to have your DH call Infant Risk and discuss with them. If he gets that sort of "medical professional to medical professional" assurance, he might feel more confident about you nursing rather than switching to formula.

There are risks to not breastfeeding and to apruptly weaning an 8 month old that have to be weighed against the risks of taking a particular medication.

Metformin is rated L1 in my Hale-but it is the 2010 edition. But that is the safest rating a medication can have. And progesterone is rated L3, "moderately safe." Only an L5 is a rating that indicates a medication is contraindicated. So anyone who is telling you these are blanket unsafe to take when breastfeeding is basing that on what research, exactly?

Why not have your husband read the book Medication and Mother's Milk (2014 is the latest edition) and draw his own conclusions about the veracity of Dr. Hale' methodology and decades of study in the area of breastmilk and medications, before abruptly weaning your child? Or I imagine he can contact Dr. Hale himself.

I agree with mommal, formula may be needed anyway due to your milk production possibly dropping. But maybe not. Your baby is 8 months old and presumably at least starting solids. Whether formula is needed or not, abupt weaning seems a little extreme in this situation.

Sorry I cannot advise you on formula. There is a wide range of opinion about infant formulas and it is just not my area.

btw if ultimately you do feel weaning is the best choice, this article has a little info on weaning a child less than a year.
    http://www.llli.org/faq/weanhowto.html