Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Craniosacral Therapy

Default Craniosacral Therapy

I am at my wits end with breastfeeding but cannot give up yet. My LO (3 weeks old today) has a strong desire to BF but has a habit of biting, making it unbearable. My nipple is flat as a pancake when she is done! I am seeing a lactation consultant who thinks she may have posterior tongue tie but isn't sure yet. We have done two sessions of craniosacral therapy but I am not noticing much of a difference yet. We have been cup feeding her to avoid introducing the bottle until she gets breastfeeding down pat. However, she's become more active and seems to get tense with cup feeding. I feel like we lose or spill half the milk now. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer any advice? I want to give her a bottle sooo bad but just don't want to lose any ground we may have made so far.

Default Re: Craniosacral Therapy

Do you have plans to get the tongue tie clipped or lasered? I know that some people do craniosacral therapy before and after tongue tie release, but I'm not sure I've heard of doing it alone to treat a PTT that is interfering with breastfeeding. Have you checked out the website kiddsteeth.com? The dentist there (Dr. Kotlow) has a lot of great info about tongue tie and how it can affect breastfeeding.

The LC wanted to try craniosacral therapy first because she's not 100% positive she has it. If she does, I would absolutely get it corrected. It's becoming quite an expense (almost $300 spent on 3 therapy sessions so far and no end in sight!). Her pediatrician also looked and didn't see any signs of it, but now I'm wondering if he was looking for posterior tongue tie since it's not as common. Should her pediatrician be able to diagnose it as well?

In my experience (which isn't very extensive, I'll admit - mostly just other moms from LLL groups and friends and my own situation), it seems like a lot of doctors don't seem to be trained to look for or deal with tongue tie. The best experience I've had is with a dentist that regularly releases ties. Here's a video that actually shows how you can check yourself if you suspect it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5opSbXvL7yQ . I don't know what area you're in, but I think that the best way to go about it is to look for a dentist that uses laser and ask if they treat tongue tie in infants. Another issue that seems to fly under the radar, so to speak, is upper lip tie. There's info on that on the kiddsteeth site as well.

I am confused about why you have not been referred to a dentist or ent or pediatrician, assuming there is someone in your area who can recognise and treat ptt. No, your pediatrician may well not have the ability to diagnose it. Frankly, the existence of ptt, whether it should be treated, and even it's name is in dispute. (Some say it is not tongue tie but something else.) But many breastfeeding experts do agree, no matter what it is called, this is a treatable, physical barrier to painless and efficient breastfeeding. It's a matter of finding the right practitioner who can diagnose and, if it is ptt, treat with frenotomy. As far as I know, your IBCLC does not need to be 'sure', she (or you) just needs to suspect. The dentist or doctor is the only one who can diagnose and treat.

I would suggest- check out the links for dr. kotlaw linked above.
    get the book the womanly art of breastfeeding-it has a good discussion of tt as well as being a good and complete breastfeeding manual
    If cup feeding is not working try bottles but make sure you feed frequently, in small amounts, and do paced botttle feeding.

Paced bottle feeding

-bottle feeding the breastfed baby
    Information sheet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Are you able to nurse at all?

Thank you for all the advice! I will ask tomorrow if they can refer me to a dentist familiar with tongue tie and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I have been nursing about twice a day but sometimes have to cut it short if she is biting too much. It seems it only take one bad nursing session to undo a days worth of healing.

OK that sounds like a good plan.

I am really confused about the report that baby is "biting." I personally have never heard tt pain described that way. Hopefully someone with tt can weigh in. If you like, you could start a new thread specifically named posterior tongue tie and see if you get some responses? I know there are old treads her on ptt as well-I think you just search that term on the site to find them maybe?

Do you have any symptoms of a fast letdown? THAT is known to sometimes cause baby to clamp or bite.