Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it safe to get piercings while EBFing?!

Default Is it safe to get piercings while EBFing?!

Ok, so I've been reading up on whether or not this is safe & I'm getting mixed answers. :/ My little one is 5 weeks, EBF & we have an awesome breastfeeding relationship! Now, I would like to get my lip pierced, but I want to make sure that it'd be safe for my little girl. Some help?

Default Re: Is it safe to get piercings while EBFing?!

As long as you're not piercing your nipples and you go to a clean place, getting a piercing is fine.

There is nothing unsafe specifically about a lip piercing as far as breastfeeding goes. You can look at the article in this Breastfeeding Today about body modifications if you like. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000001_BT_PDF/bt16.pdf

I would only suggest that any elective (or non-elective, for that matter) body modification carries some risk of infection or complications. Infection and anti-biotics alone would also not be contraindicated when nursing, but being sick and caring for a newborn is a difficult situation.

I do not know how long a new lip piercing has to stay "in" before it can be removed without closing back up. But I will just say that in my experience babies and toddlers LOVE to play with (Touch, grab, pull on) mommy’s mouth and lips on a regular basis. Touch is a big way baby's learn abiout the world and mommy's face is where they start. I cannot imagine how much more enticing jewelry in the lip would be. Just a thought.

i think it's perfectly safe, but you may have a lot of trouble finding a reputable piercer to do it anyway (kind of like how docs will refuse to do procedures/prescribe meds that are perfectly safe for bf).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks, ladies!!