Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby pulling at my shirt in public

Default Baby pulling at my shirt in public

Hi guys! We made it past our 1-year mark and "we" (me and baby) decided to continue nursing The problem I've been having lately is when in public she'll grab at my shirt pull it down or shove her hands down my bra She's 15-mos so I'm not sure if I can teach her the difference between home and public places (?) Anyone go through this?

Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Baby pulling at my shirt in public

Totally normal aspect of having an older baby. Choose a shirt with a higher neckline and it will be harder for her to grope you. Luckily, turtleneck weather is upon us...

Also, you can gently remove her hand(s) and say "please don't pull mommy's shirt". It will probably take a zillion repetitions, but the message will come through eventually.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can try to say no, but in my exp it is even hard to teach much older kids to not do this, esp. if they are tired or cranky and really needing to nurse. I would not worry about it. Kids tug and pull at various parts of mom and mom's clothing all the time. Only you (and other breastfeeding moms) will know what baby is after.

I agree with Mommal. Turtleneck! Little gropy hands are hard to stop with anything else.

I've been encouraging my LO to use the "milk" sign rather than tug. At 15 months she was still tugging, and at 18 months still does sometimes too, but often she'll use the milk sign instead.

My 1 1/2 year old did this in church today! Lol! I just told him "not right now baby" . I dont think the guy sitting next to us got it! Lol.
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

thanks all! i live in hawaii so turtle necks are hard to do but tighter neckline tops I can certainly try. sometimes I wish I lived in those countries where women could freely breastfeed and it was ok. when baby pulls at my shirt and gives strangers a peep show at my bra I really don't care but just feel bad I make them uncomfortable!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bluesea View Post
    sometimes I wish I lived in those countries where women could freely breastfeed and it was ok. when baby pulls at my shirt and gives strangers a peep show at my bra I really don't care but just feel bad I make them uncomfortable!!
    Yeah, I know what you mean...I do live in one of those countries and LO regularly gives strangers a peep show of my other breast !! It's hard to adapt her nursing habits when we travel to North America.

I think that when you travel to North America, or live in North America, you bring normal nursing habits with you. Don't try to adapt to please some hypothetical prude- who can never be pleased anyway! First of all, that prude might not even be there. They're more likely to be at home, in their dark room, posting nasty comments on the internet. And most people you meet- they are NICE about public nursing. I've had so many old ladies come up to me and say things like "I nursed all of mine, good for you!" or "My granddaughter is nursing her baby, it's the best thing for them."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't worry about unintentional flashing. I think most people if they realize what you're doing are not going to stare at you anyway. And if they do see something it's likely to be brief.