Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New momma having major supply issues

Default Re: New momma having major supply issues

An LC is supposed to swing by today. They only have one working at this time.

I can see if the principal would allow it, but he's a stickler for rules. He may say that I can eat a snack, but under the same rules as the students--in the hallway in betweenthe 5 minute passing period.

Well, even in 5 minutes you could get something down. I know schools are not the most breastfeeding friendly workplaces in most situations.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

your 5 week old very premature baby is in the nicu and you are already back at work? Can't your employer give you a longer work leave in such extreme circumstances? This is outrageous. Don't you have a union?

Breastfeeding or not, pumping or not, I strongly suggest you try to find a way to be with your baby most of the time. Mothers need to be with thier babies. It's hormonal. It's strong. a mother who has just given birth has a hormonal need to be with her infant. You need your baby and your baby needs you. Your milk is great, obviously. Whatever you can pump for your baby is wonderful. I suggest, stop focusing on how much it is, every drop is meaningful. But aside from that, I think you are under terrible strain that has nothing to do with pumping.

Is there some way for you find a way to temporarily live closer to the hospital? Is there any way you can not be working a stressful job where you don't even have time/freedom to eat a snack? If money is the issue, can you look into temporary public assistance? Call churches or LLL leaders or the breastfeeding coalition or something that are close to the hospital to see if there is someone who can put you up? Call hotels near the hospital to try to get a discount? You are under extreme stress that is not only mental but physical/hormonal. It will only be helped by holding/being near your infant as much as you can. Of course you had a breakdown!
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 6th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

I also suggest the book Making More Milk. It is inexpensive and written for mothers and packed with great info. And you want a real consultation (not just a drop by) with a real IBCLC (board certified lactation consultant) if that is at all possible. You may have pre-existing conditions for low milk production you know nothing about. These can on some cases be targeted with specific herbs. You need someone who knows what questions to ask who has the time to ask them and really listen to your answers.

Are you able to hold your baby? Does baby nurse at all?

lllmeg, it was my choice to go back as soon as I could in order to save some of my time so that I can be with him when he's released. I get standard FMLA, but to get paid, they take it out of my sick/personal days, and I need to save those up as well for his doctor's visits. I felt the responsibility of coming back because I am the mentor of two new teachers in my department, it was the first grading period, and I have a majority of the seniors on my campus. My substitute is a former teacher in my subject area, but she had never taught seniors and felt very uncomfortable with it, and some of my students suffered from that. Though we have family in the area, they are going through their own issues (my great-uncle has heart problems and my great-aunt has Alzheimer's).

I agree that holding and being with my infant is needed, but even in this month, I wouldn't have been able to hold him much at all. He was on an oscillator for a week and a half, off and on under a lamp for jaundice for 2 weeks, and after self-extubating twice, we were told we couldn't hold him for awhile. And the time spent in the NICU still would have been divided up between creating and sending lesson plans, creating unit and lesson plans for all of twelfth grade for the second grade period (the other senior English teacher is brand new), grading papers, and entering grades. Even now, I am grading papers while in his room so that they can be entered by Tuesday for report cards. I am a member of a teacher's union, but in Texas it is more of an organization and is very limited on what they can do as Texas doesn't allow for teachers to unionize. So in many ways, it can't be helped. As a teacher, students, parents, campus administration, and district administration all expect me to be there for the students' best interests, and if my students are going to learn anything, I need to be there. :/

At what point will your baby's doctors allow/promote kangaroo care?

I am allowed to hold him now, but I cannot nurse him as he is on a ventilator and has both breathing and feeding tubes going down his throat. I was unable to hold him for the first two weeks as he was jaundiced and on an oscillator. The first time I held him, it was for 45 minutes until he self-extubated and the NICU team had to get him stable. A few days later his dad held him for over an hour and did fine, then a few days after that he self-extubated again and we were told we couldn't hold him for awhile. Yesterday was the first time I was able to hold him in two weeks.

And how is baby doing now?

Do you know, is skin to skin/kangaroo care generally promoted by the staff as long as baby is able?

He's better, though still on a ventilator. Skin to skin is definitely encouraged by the staff so long as he is able to tolerate it, and he does well with it. We can't always do it as on the weekdays we often don't have the over 2-3 hours needed in order for it to be effective as a round trip is over two hours and many times we can't get on the road until close to 7 p.m.

I did visit with the LC, and she reassured me that I was doing everything I could, and maybe when I'm able to hold him more and nurse him, I may see more milk.

I am so glad to hear your baby is improving.

I hope I am not sounding as if a parent must be able to hold her baby in order to bond. With some babies this is not possible, and in those cases of course mom's & dad's presence with baby is important for bonding.

Kangaroo care has been shown to have remarkable benefits for baby AND mom and dad. Of course it has been shown to promote breastfeeding and milk production, but there is way more to it. And the more it can be done, the better.

So how long you can be at the hospital is cutting in to times you could be holding baby on some days-do I have that right? If the hours you can be at the hospital on weekdays cannot be increased, perhaps you can discuss your scedule constraints with the staff to see how you can arrange to hold your baby every day.

Have studies shown kangaroo care is somehow not effective if it cannot be for such and such hours each time? I know sometimes s2s time is limited to 2 hours at a time due to concerns about overstimulation of baby, but I have not heard it has to be for a certain amount of time to be effective.