Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New momma having major supply issues

Default Re: New momma having major supply issues

The NICU I was at (and a highly rated one, at that) had signs *everywhere* about kangaroo care with photos of some of their smallest preemies on vents doing it (one was still in the NICU and we met his parents, he was a 23 weeker). It reduces alarms/brady and apnea events, increases mom's supply and increases breastfeeding success, per their sign. Do as much as they'll allow. Your baby is on alarms so you'll know if baby is getting worn out.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

OK I did find mention of there being a minimum time for kangaroo care for premature infants on this website for the Texas Children’s Hospital. It says premature baby "should" by held a minimum of 60 minutes. It does not explain why although I assume there is some issue of stress to baby in moving baby from one "environment" to another. But I have no idea if this is simply something this hospital has instituted or if studies suggest this minimum is really needed. I would suspect such a recommendation would vary quite a bit depending on the baby. http://women.texaschildrens.org/Our-...Kangaroo-Care/

Did the LC watch you pump? Your feeling that the pump is not working right would be s something to follow up on. Some mothers do not respond with standard pump flanges, I think pumpin pals makes a specialized flange that some mothers find works better. http://www.pumpinpal.com/ You are doing compressions, massage, etc while pumping I presume.

Do you notice any difference between the two pumps?

Also I was just talking to an IBCLC about round the clock pumping. She said it helps many mothers to pump whenever they can (so, around their schedule) rather than trying to pump every such and such hours. (For example, pumping when they get up, after breakfast, after dropping older kids off at school etc.) The key is to get in 'enough' pump sessions a 24 hour day to be close to the frequency a newborn would be doing-8 -10 if at all possible- not that they are spaced any particular way, although you probably want to avoid going more than 5-6 hours without pumping. So I was thinking-do you pump in the car on the way to the hospital? Can you arrive at work a little early and pump then?

My son is at Texas Children's, and the nurse who gave us the information stated that when babies do kangaroo care, they relax enough to go into a deep enough sleep to reach REM, which is when their bodies can do the most growing.

The LC did observe me pump. She said that my flanges looked fine, and I was doing everything that I could, but I may be one of those moms who need that major touching / nursing time to really produce milk, or I may truly have a low supply. She also said to not set an alarm or anything at night because I do need my rest, but I'm going to have to anyway because the past two nights I haven't woken up in the middle of the night, so I've missed my overnight session. The pumping machine the hospital rents out and the pumping machine made available to the moms at the hospital is slightly different--they're both Medela Symphonies, but the one at the hospital has both the standard and preemie settings, while the one they rent out only has the standard setting.

I do not pump in the car on the way to the hospital, especially if I'm driving. I do pump when I'm there, though. I am already pumping before I head to work, and there's not enough time elapsed between my before work pumping and 7:45 a.m. to do another one, and I cannot pump between 7:45 a.m. and my first class because those times have to be open for tutorials or meetings--we cannot be alone in our rooms grading or out making copies during that time, but available to students or other staff members and our doors must be open. I explained the work situation to the LC, and she said do what I can at work, and make sure to pump every two hours when I'm home.

I think there is way more to the benefits of kangaroo care than REM sleep. edit- Some hospitals simply do not have the staffing to facilitate this important measure as much as it should be and that is unfortunate. But at a large, very respected hospital like Texas Children’s I presume that is not the case. I hope you feel you can advocate for yourself and your husband to hold your baby more, even if it cannot be for 2-3 hours at a time due to your other commitments and physical distance from the hospital. Especially since the hospital itself on its website talks about the importance of kangaroo care and does NOT suggest a 2-3 hour minimum is needed. (That's weird it is the same hospital! I mean, I just did an online search for ‘kangaroo care time limits’ or something like that, and that Texas Children’s page popped up on the first page. I was not searching Texas or anything else specific to you.)

As far as pumping in the car, I know it sounds weird. But people do it. Even when driving! However, I suggested it assuming your husband could be doing the driving. My overall point was sometimes it is helpful to get creative or in a "make it work" mode with how and when to pump.

I meant, do you notice any difference in how you produce between the two pumps.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 9th, 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: i meant, do NOT have the staffing. Not, do have the staffing.

My NICU said any amount was great and helpful. We definitely didn't do it for that long of stretches. Every 3 hrs I nursed both babies then pumped and then had an 1 or so before we started all over again so definitely wasn't doing that long of a stretch. I wore a nursing tank my whole hospital stay (and still do) and I nursed my babies in their diapers. my husband also did skin to skin/ kangaroo care when he bottle fed them.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Meg, there seems to be no difference in how much I produce between the three pumps I use. I'm really starting to think that what I was told was what that one nurse believed, not necessarily what the hospital advocated.

Hi chrissy.renae I have been thinking about you. OK thanks, I was hoping one pump was better for you. I hope things are improving to the point you & your husband can be holding your dear baby lots. Have you found helpful books or websites specifically about dealing with prematurity/hospitalization of baby? Did you mention there was a support group you can attend? I was not sure. You are doing great under very difficult circumstances. Please let us know how we can help further.

We still haven't been able to hold him since last weekend because of when we can get up there. I had yesterday off and had planned to go up to the NICU, but there were so many things I had to do around the house and errands to run that I didn't get to go until my husband got home, which didn't give us much time up there. I am going up today, and I'm hoping I'll be allowed to hold him (he self-extubated for the third time Thursday).
    My supply still has not improved and is still hanging out at the barely above an ounce per day range. I do have some challenges that I know are things that I can and should address, bur I just don't know how. I cannot seem to get my after school feeding done on time. It never fails that when the bell rings to dismiss students, that's when they come to see me about assignments or grades and teachers come by to ask questions. Next thing I know, it's 4 p.m. and I still have copies to make and the next day's lesson to get in order. I have not left work before 5 since I got back to work, and it ends up being well after that that I am able to get in my next pumping. I also having difficulty with the night pumpings. I haven't gotten up during the night to use the bathroom, and I seem to sleep through my timers. I'm going to try to see if setting my alarm will work, because going to bed at 11-11:30 p.m. and waking up at 5 a.m. without pumping just isn't going to work. I have also noticed that my fluid intake has dropped significantly--I have always had trouble getting enough water and fluids in me, even when I was pregnant (my OB appointment before Rory was born showed that I was dehydrated), and while I was doing well in getting at least 64 ounces a day when I was off, it's proving more difficult once again.

I have found a few sites for parents of preemies. Though the hospital does have a support group for NICU parents, it's on a weekday in the middle of the day, so neither one of us can make it. We are both part of a large preemie support group on Facebook, and it helps, though I have to admit that I have a hard time with the posts from parents whose children did not survive and they commemorate the anniversaries of their deaths; I certainly feel for them, but trying to stay positive while seeing those posts can bring me down.

Thank you for asking about me. All in all, things are about the same, though I know that for the most part I am doing all that I can, I still am feeling down about what I could be doing to improve production but am not.

Mama, please cut yourself a break. No guilt. You are doing an amazing job and a difficult one.

Has anyone taken a look at you for possible medical explanations for your difficulty with pumping/producing? Things like a retained placenta fragment or a thyroid condition or PCOS- they can all hold supply back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I go in to see my OB on Monday for my six-week postpartum appointment, so we may talk about possible medical issues. I'm pretty sure it's not a retained placenta fragment--I only partially delivered it, so they went in to get the rest out and followed up with an ultrasound to be sure. To my knowledge I don't have thyroid problems, and I'm not sure what PCOS is. An LC that I spoke with 3 weeks ago mentioned something about some moms needing prescription meds, but said that was more covered by the OB than an LC.