Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone use both manual and electric pump??

Default Anyone use both manual and electric pump??

I have a double electric but have been told I should get a manual also. I have not started pumping just yet so I'm really not sure how it all works. I have to start pumping before feedings bc I have OALD.. And I'm thinking a manual may be easier?? Idk.. Maybe I should just bust out the electric lol. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Anyone use both manual and electric pump??

Why have you been told you should get a manual? Besides the overactive letdown, are you going to need to pump due to separations or some other reason? What pump (and if a pump is even needed at all) depends on if, why and when mom needs to pump. Some mothers might want two pumps I suppose, for convenience maybe? But it is certainly not a general need. I cannot see any reason to have a manual as well as your double electric unless there is a strong likelyhood that you will need to pump in an emergency situation where there is no electricity or batteries available.

BTW I did not mention this in your other thread but I do suggest be very careful about pumping to handle oald or pumping when you have oald. Pumping can increase milk production which will make oald worse. If you are pumping to get that first letdown, you want to pump VERY briefly.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 5th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Well I will be returning to work at 12 weeks and need to pump. I've been told that while it's nice to have the double e, a manual is much more discreet/ convenient at times.

OK that is something working/pumping moms are going to have to weigh in on. I guess it depends where and when you are going to be able to pump at your work and, if you are not able to pump entirely privately, how you feel about people knowing you are pumping.

When a mom is pumping at work, typically her primary concerns are to 1)express enough milk for her baby to drink when she is at work and 2) keep her milk production in good shape. and 3) keep pump sessions as short as possible. Generally, this means using the best pump you can, which, generally, is going to mean a double sided electric. Double sided eletric pumps are designed to be used 2-4 times a day everyday, specifically for the working mom. Manuals are more of a "only need to pump on occasion" pump. However, different moms respond to different pumps differently, and a few do find a manual works as well or even better than an electric. And if a manual helps you get more pumping sessions in than you would otherwise, that would be a plus.

have other moms used a manual as well as an electric at work?

I personally only use a double electric at work. I would never yield enough milk without it. And like PP said, you really need that level of stimulation to keep your production up and in good shape.

I'm not sure what your specific working environment is, but I can't think of any situation for me personally where a manual would be more convenient. Was there a particular situation suggested to you that the manual would be better for? Or do you work in a field where frequent pumping is hard to manage, or are you lacking a good location to pump, perhaps?
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

If you are going to be working full time you will need to use a double electric every day. I see no reason for a manual pump at work. Even if you have to pump someplace semi-public, like your car, you will still want to use the double electric with a cover. Or if you have to pump in a restroom, locker room, or storage room you will still want to use the double electric with a cover. Think about this, if you are in a place where you are uncomfortable or want to be discreet, a single manual pump is going to take AT LEAST TWICE as long to do a complete pumping session.

A manual pump is more intended for mothers that will be taking short occasional breaks away from baby and want to have some milk on hand. The only types of situations I can think of to have both types of pumps, is if you are going on a trip and want to take a short break from baby but don't want to pack to big pump. I did have a friend that used a single manual at work but she only worked part time a few days a week and she didn't go back to work until her child was an older infant and could get away with a bit less milk over the few hours they were apart.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.