Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: to pump or noy o pump..

Default to pump or noy o pump..

My DS3 is 8 weeks and, while he sleeps amazingly at night, has no semblance of a daytime routine. I find myself confused many times a day. When should I pump? If he falls asleep before he's finished, it's totally hit or miss if he'll be up and hungry again in 10 minutes, or if he's down for a long nap. I find myself waiting an hour, then pumping, just to have him wake 2 minutes later. That, or I guess he'll be up anytime now, and 3 hours later I'm leaking and still he snoozes! Suggestions would be wonderful as I need to keep emptying to keep my hard-won, almost adequate supply where it is. Thanks!
    Proud mama of
    DS1 6/5/04
    DS2 1/8/08
    DD 6/25/10
    DS3 8/13/13

BFAR

Default Re: to pump or noy o pump..

At this point, is there a reason that you don't trust your baby to be able to maintain supply?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I should be able to, however, I went the weekend without pumping except before bed and today, he's not been satisfied. I've had to give him an oz or so of expressed milk 4 times today. He was getting very fussy and pulling at my breast because he wasn't getting anything. Also, I usually pump 2-3 oz before bed, saturday night, I got a little under 2 oz, and last night, I only got 1 oz. It seems my supply isn't quite "set" yet and diminishes wildly when I don't keep my routine (including nursing, pumping, and milkmaid tea -which has helped more than any crazy dosages of fenugreek ever did!). I just -as in, last week- got to the point where I barely need formula. I'm hoping that this is only temporary as my body adjusts to the consistency and level of demand. Mybe by nezt week, this won't even be a concern.? Here's to hoping!
    Proud mama of
    DS1 6/5/04
    DS2 1/8/08
    DD 6/25/10
    DS3 8/13/13

BFAR

You were supplementing as much as 10 ounces of formula a day, just what- 2 weeks ago, am I right? So you have gotten that down to 4 ounces of expressed milk instead? If so, that is wonderful progress.

Is baby gaining normally? Nursing at least 10 times in 24 hours? Does nursing hurt you?

Unless your baby needs the supplemental feedings, I do not know why you would still need to pump. However, if you are still concerned about milk production overall, what about keep pumping for a bit but saving/freezing some or all of what you express instead of giving it all to baby? Then you can see if baby can go off supplements altogether while you continue to give that extra boost to your milk production.

Besides babies behavior at the breast, which does not sound particularly unusual to me, is there some other reason you think something is preventing your baby from being able to get enough milk via JUST breastfeeding?

And what do you mean baby is sleeping great at night? I would suggest, do not go more than 5 hours without nursing your baby if you are concerned about milk production. A stretch of 4-5 hours ONE TIME a day, at night so you can sleep, is fine. But at 8 weeks normal nursing frequency overall is normally still pretty high.

As far as getting 1 to 2 ounces each time you pump, that is pretty normal when pumping AND full time nursing. However, with your history of low production you do whant to be careful. If you think there is an issue with how much you pump, first, check the pump.