Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive Letdown & Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance help.

Default Overactive Letdown & Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance help.

Hey ladies..after dealing with an oversupply and milk imbalance issue for about a week now (LO is two weeks, one Day) I finally reached out to a lactation consultant. I posted on here as well and took some of the advice posted but it only seemed to get wore for LO. My poor LO was extremely fussy after feedings, gassy, green stools immediately after eating, frequent poops, frequent nursing, choking on breastmilk, spitting up and just all around not happy. I felt so bad and as so stressed out. I even gave in and offered a binky today to give LO some relief and it actually worked. It seemed to comfort him. Comfort nursing apparently wasnt a good idea bc he was getting too much foremilk.

I spoke with a LC today and wanted to share her advice, and get your thoughts as well. She suggested four things. The first two I tried and nothing helped. They were reclining to feed, feeding off of one breast consecutively, handexpressing or allowing let down to shoot off into towel ( this never worked bc i cant feel let down and I never sprayed unless I squeezed breast), and finally th last resort as pumping an ounce off one side before feeding.

I pumped one ounce off and the baby seemed full, and took a three hour nap off of feeding off one side. I am worried about this though, do you think it will cause more milk to produce? Do I need to do this at every feeding or can i simply do both breast once a day and then continue on with block feeding. Should I save the foremilk pumped or toss out?

I just want this to all work out. I want my baby to nurse when he wants, comfort or not, and get the good hindmilk..not all the fassy foremilk. ANY and ALL advice is more than appreciated. Clearly I am a bit confused with all of this. Thanks!!!

Default Re: Overactive Letdown & Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance help.

First off, I need to share this link demistifying the whole foremilk/hindmilk thing. I worried so much about that and now I feel it was unnecessary: https://breastfeedingusa.org/content...k-and-hindmilk

I have a very good supply and I don't think my breasts regulated until my daughter was 6-8 months. The reclined position did help me, as did block feeding. I have also tried the other suggestions you mention. One ounce is not a whole lot when you have a good supply. I know what you mean about worrying that it'll cause you to produce even more milk. This was my fear, too, but it's really not a lot. I don't think you can just do it once a day and count it as done, but maybe just do it, as you said, as a last resort. If you try the other options for a feeding and they don't seem to be working, then go for the pumping.

At your baby's age, I probably would have just tossed it because I wouldn't have had the occasion to give it to her, but maybe it can be stored and donated. You can accumulate what you pump from different sessions into one bag and then freeze it.

Default Re: Overactive Letdown & Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance help.

Great link from the PP!!! I couldn't agree more- cross the whole foremilk/hindmilk issue off your worry list.

I know you tried the reclined feedings and feeding off just one breast today, and they didn't work. But I think you're not giving them enough time to do their magic. Dealing with oversupply and fast letdowns- that's a process that can last for weeks or even months in some very severe cases. You're not going to see a huge improvement in just 24 hours. So I would recommend continuing to do reclined and one-sided feedings for a few days, maybe a week, before you declare them a failure and move on to other techniques.

I personally would avoid routine use of the pump before feedings. Yes, pumping out an ounce can make feeding easier for the baby, but it's also going to keep your supply higher than it should be. The more milk you leave in the breast, and the longer it sits there, the more your body will get the message that it's time to reduce supply to a more reasonable level.

One thing to keep in mind is that your baby is still VERY young. Often young babies struggle with fast flow not because the flow speed is so excessive but rather because they lack the speed, strength, and coordination to keep up with even a normal letdown. This is why most resources suggest giving yourself several weeks to master breastfeeding before you try to tweak things, for example by block feeding or pumping or what have you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"