Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much EBM do you send to daycare for a 16 month old?

Default How much EBM do you send to daycare for a 16 month old?

I know that any amount is good but I was curious for the extended pumping moms. I currently send 8 oz of EBM mixed with 3 oz of oat or coconut milk. She nurses in the morning before we leave...probably 4 oz...and then she nurses for about 30 minutes before bed. I am assuming she gets about 17-18 oz of BM a day. I am not sure when I should stop sending the BM and just nurse her in the morning and night or if I should keep going. I guess I could send her with nothing for a few days but continue to pump just in case I need to continue to send the EBM. I also feel lucky to be able to have a provider who allows EBM after a year. I have no plans to wean...the pump has just become this ball and chain.

I have 225 oz in my freezer but have a surgery coming up in the future and want to keep that for the few days that I need anesthesia to clear my system.

Default Re: How much EBM do you send to daycare for a 16 month old?

I think at this point you could send as much as you want and can manage to pump. It sounds like you're only nursing 2x a day? Is that right? You want to try to make it about 3-5 times a day nursing. At the time LO was 16 months, I wanted to make sure she had the equivalent at that time of 3-5 "nursing" sessions a day, made up with pumped milk. I tried to have about 3-4 oz at least around that time -- but whatever I pumped at that point (2x a day) was what I had. I didn't really pump extra to make up for it. But I guess it depends on how much you feel comfortable leaving, depending on how much your daughter's eating as far as solids and your opinion on her health overall. By the time my LO started refusing breast milk totally, around 22 months, I was only pumping 1x a day and was lucky to get 1.5 oz. total. Now we're down to 3-4 total nursing sessions on good days, so I'm fine with not pumping at all. We're at nearly 2 years, though.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

When DS was 15 months, I was still sending 3 3-oz bottles, so 9 oz. As he approached 16 months, he started not finishing 2 of those, so I tried 2 3-oz bottles, and he still wasn't finishing them consistently, so we finally settled on 2 2.5-oz bottles, so 5 oz. That is what he still takes at almost 19 months. He gets 2 solid nursing sessions and 2-3 shorter nursing sessions in addition to that.

BTW that drop, from 9 to 5 oz, is what motivated me to stop pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*homeworkwithheather View Post

I have 225 oz in my freezer but have a surgery coming up in the future and want to keep that for the few days that I need anesthesia to clear my system.
    You might want to check with InfantRisk how long you actually need to pump and dump for. http://www.infantrisk.com/ A lot of times surgeons and anesthesiologists don't have a lot of familiarity with this area and are overly conservative.

My daughter started rejecting the bottle from both our caregiver and my husband at 14 to 15 months. They tried cup, straw cup, sippy cup. Nope. Since I nurse morning, evening, night and overnight plus all weekend I decided to not be concerned. Also it enabled me to pump wean! That took a couple months.

She gets solids, fruit/veg smoothies, water and occasionally she'll unexpectedly take pumped milk from the freezer stash.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

[QUOTE=@llli*debbers;1326532]My daughter started rejecting the bottle from both our caregiver and my husband at 14 to 15 months. They tried cup, straw cup, sippy cup. Nope. Since I nurse morning, evening, night and overnight plus all weekend I decided to not be concerned. Also it enabled me to pump wean! That took a couple months.

Hi this is what I was just wondering, my daughter is just gone a year so not at that stage yet but I was just wondering for future reference as I have been pumping since four months and now working 3 days a week where she is still getting a bottle of EBM. I was worried about the bottle aspect of things but sounds like they outgrow the bottle themselves. I find that after her solids she loves having a drink afterwards. she loves water from her doidy cup, Should I just go with it?

Also anyone know as they drink less breastmilk should that then be replaced with water or how much liquids do they need?
    Im doing BLW for first time, do I again just take her lead and keep offering or will she fill herself up on water

[QUOTE=@llli*yvonne9;1327415]
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    My daughter started rejecting the bottle from both our caregiver and my husband at 14 to 15 months. They tried cup, straw cup, sippy cup. Nope. Since I nurse morning, evening, night and overnight plus all weekend I decided to not be concerned. Also it enabled me to pump wean! That took a couple months.

Hi this is what I was just wondering, my daughter is just gone a year so not at that stage yet but I was just wondering for future reference as I have been pumping since four months and now working 3 days a week where she is still getting a bottle of EBM. I was worried about the bottle aspect of things but sounds like they outgrow the bottle themselves. I find that after her solids she loves having a drink afterwards. she loves water from her doidy cup, Should I just go with it?

Also anyone know as they drink less breastmilk should that then be replaced with water or how much liquids do they need?
    Im doing BLW for first time, do I again just take her lead and keep offering or will she fill herself up on water
    I would advise posting as a new thread in the Breastfeeding your toddler section of the forum or in Working and breastfeeding
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12