I seem to keep getting mastitis in one breast (have had it twice in the past few months). Again today I woke to a very full feeling breast, almost painful (skipped a nursing yesterday and LO, 15 months, not nursing as much because with his stuffy nose it's hard for him to breathe!). The pain is on the side of the breast, seems to be concentrated in a series of ducts, but the breast feels soft, so I don't think milk (or much) is trapped behind a plugged duct. Since I only nurse about 3x/day, I don't really produce much now. Throughout the day, a small patch of skin around the area has turned a bit pink, but it's not the "my whole breast looks like it's been dipped in red paint" scenario just yet. I don't feel so great, but I'm getting my son's cold so not sure if the achiness is related to mastitis or the cold.

I've been keeping a hot water bottle on it all day, nursing as much as LO will (which is not too much), and have pumped once after a not so draining nursing session. I want to avoid antibiotics this time because I'm not sure they are needed just yet and I'm allergic to several antibiotics and I don't want my body to develop a new allergy to the clindamycin I keep having to take for the mastitis. If it's worse tomorrow, I'll call the on-call doc at my ob's office (tomorrow, unfortunately being Sunday). Will only go to urgent care if necessary.

Anything else you all recommend besides the heat and the nursing/pumping? I've also been taking ibuprofen, vit C, eating lots of vit C-rich foods, drinking tea (green, herbal). I know they say "rest" but that's impossible with a toddler...