Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth Spurt or Supply Issues?

Default Growth Spurt or Supply Issues?

DS is almost 19 months old. He is generally a good eater, with occasional days that he lives on air. He gets 5oz of EBM at day care from my freezer stash each day, nurses at pick up, once in the evening, and before bed. He nurses several times overnight, but we are starting to nightwean this weekend. He does not currently drink any cows milk.

The last 3 days, day care says he has been eating like crazy, having seconds at breakfast, lunch, and snack and asking for more beyond seconds. And he has certainly eaten a lot at dinner the last couple nights.

Is there any way to tell if this is a growth spurt or an indication that my supply is drying up? I assume if the latter, I should start adding cows milk to his diet?

Default Re: Growth Spurt or Supply Issues?

Supply doesn't just spontaneously "dry up". If a mom dries up, there's a reason. Sometimes it's something beyond her control, like pregnancy, or the negative impacts of hormonal contraception. But more often it's due to nursing less- even after 19 months of nursing, supply is controlled by demand. It sounds like you're nursing infrequently during the day and plan to be doing even less at night, so this is a time when you should be expecting supply to dwindle a bit. But as long as you keep nursing you will keep making milk.

This could all be a growth spurt- kids do continue to go through them throughout toddlerhood and childhood.

If you want to introduce animal milk to your child's diet, you can. You can also just continue to nurse- my understanding is that as long as you're nursing 3-5 times a day, you're meeting all your child's "dairy" needs by yourself. It sounds like you plan to drop down to 3 nursing sessions and one bottle, so you're still in that range.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Supply doesn't just spontaneously "dry up".
    Sorry, I shouldn't write posts after midnight. I am 9 weeks pregnant.

I sometimes feel that I shouldn't do anything that requires brainpower after around 9 in the morning.

Since you're pregnant, I think you should expect your supply to go down, maybe even to disappear. There's nothing you can really do about it- loss of milk during pregnancy is hormonally driven. So I think this is probably a good time to introduce cow's milk, just in case your supply totally tanks. You can continue to nurse- even "dry" nursing has benefits, e.g. it's a great parenting tool, it helps jaw development, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"