Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Made it to a year and beyond! A few questions...

Default Made it to a year and beyond! A few questions...

Hi! I just wanted to shout out for myself and my baby that we are still happily breastfeeding at one year! I am still pumping at work and will for awhile since he still takes my milk during the day. But he is such a good solid food eater I think I can start to pump wean soon. A few questions regarding "mama care":
    My menstrual cycle has still not yet returned. While that is nice in a way, it has made my estrogen remain low. I'm noticing that my sex drive is pretty low still, after a year , my skin is dry, my scalp is dry, and when I do have intercourse, it hurts! Just wondering if any of you are experiencing these things too. I do use a personal lubricant. I feel so bad since my DH and I used to be once a weekers and now we're lucky if we're once a monthers! It's like, where has the time gone? Has it been a month since we were intimate?
    I have to have elective outpatient surgery for a epigastric hernia that arose during my pregnancy (right above my belly button). I have asked for just local with MILD sedation, mainly because I am freaked about surgery and want to avoid general anethesia at all costs. The surgeon stated that I'll have to take a short course of antibiotics, and of course the hydrocodone. He knows I am still breastfeeding. I'm just wondering if any of you have ever noticed a supply dip from antibiotics or even jsust the physical trauma of surgery. I guess since my boy is a toddler now I don't have to worry, I think he'll keep nursing even if my milk is a little low and if it's really low pump output I could always add a session the next couple days after the surgery. I have to get the surgery now because I'm switching jobs and insurance and want to make sure this operation is covered!
    Thoughts on my ramblings appreciated!

Default Re: Made it to a year and beyond! A few questions...

Hi garsmum, congratulations on a year of nursing! That is wonderful!

Do you know which antibiotic you'll be on? I'm not aware of antibiotics causing supply dips, and I've been on a couple courses of antibiotics without noticing any effect on supply, but you could also call InfantRisk if you know the specific antibiotic and ask them about it. http://www.infantrisk.com/ They may also be able to answer your questions about the effect of surgery itself. But it sounds like it is not going to be a very involved procedure, if it can be done with local anesthesia, so I imagine that it should not have a major impact on your supply. And you're right that after a year you have somewhat more leeway with your supply anyway! - especially if LO is doing well with solids.

I'll let others tackle the questions on sex drive and lubrication - I personally have not had similar experiences, but I've seen threads on here of other mothers with similar concerns, so you're not alone!

Thanks bfwmomof3! I do not know the type of antibiotic yet. I will contact infant risk once I find that out. Yes I know the sex drive/low estrogen thing is a difficult topic but it's also critically important since healthy relationships affect everything else in the home and family! I was wondering if there was some kind of seperate thread to ask questions like that of a more personal nature.

There is a "private" relationships and sexuality forum (ie, only members of that group can see the posts). You need a certain number of posts to participate - I can't remember the number. You might want to ask in the "Administrative Questions" forum how to join in.

I think it's 50 posts. But if you're comfortable talking about the relationship/sexuality issue here, we can talk about it here.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*garsmum View Post
    I'm noticing that my sex drive is pretty low still, after a year , my skin is dry, my scalp is dry, and when I do have intercourse, it hurts! Just wondering if any of you are experiencing these things too.
    yes, this is pretty normal. It didn't stop hurting for me until DD was 17 mo and my cycle returned, although DD still nurses a ton. I think on avg cycle returns around 17 months.

I think it's very normal that your cycle hasn't returned yet. I am still nursing my 23 month old DS and am just now starting to have some spotting again. I also have an IUD (Mirena) so that might have been part of the delay in my cycle returning, but I think anything up to 18 months or even 2 years is normal for some women while nursing. I didn't have any issues with lubrication, etc. even when not cycling, so I can't speak well to that part of the issue. Maybe try a different lubricant, such as a silicone-based one (if you aren't using condoms for birth control)? Silicone based lubes last longer and don't dry out the way water-based lubes do, might make for a more comfortable experience. Re: sex drive, I would just go ahead and get started even if you're not feeling particularly into it. It's usually fun once you get going, and in my experience it makes for a self-reinforcing cycle.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!