Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby only nurses well when tired or asleep

Angry Baby only nurses well when tired or asleep

Hello Ladies, my baby is 5 months now and since 3 month old has been feeding when tired and in her sleep. Her weight gain is fine bc of this but it very frustrating for me as i have a 4 yr old as well. although we have had our struggles she has been ebf. I had oversupply but then it drastically decreased at 10 weeks as she was not emptying my breasts fully due to posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie. These were clipped at 11 weeks. Her latch is still very poor and her suction is weak despite cst and osteo visits. I fear it has reattached but the dr said no. i am taking domperidone and fennelgreek. Luckily she catnaps so i can feed her 5 times in the day and twice at night. But i am afraid of when her naps consolidate. I always offer during awake times but she drinks for 1 minute and comes off. Is it bc of my supply? My flow? I do compressions and switch as well. Has anyone been through this? Will it ever change? Once in awhile i cant feed her to sleep as she is in the carrier and falls asleep. I try to feed her every morning when she wakes but she just wont take more than a minute of drinking. And refuses until her first nap. Also has anyone ordered domperidone from inhousepharmacy? Are they reputable? I am angry As my dr in france will not give me anymore Dom and told me to give my baby formula at 6 months but i want to continue until a year and if i have to pump and bottle feed later on. Thank you for reading my post. I feel so frustrated and just want the best for her.

Default Re: Baby only nurses well when tired or asleep

So basically baby is healthy and growing, and just has this weird feeding pattern in which she only feeds when sleepy or sleeping? If that's the case, here's what I'm thinking:
    - Weak latch isn't necessarily a bad latch. What I mean is that a baby's suckling doesn't have to feel powerful in order for it do be effective.
    - Fast feedings aren't necessarily poor feedings. Those 1 minute feedings could be enough for her to get a lot of her needs met, especially since you are feeding her a fair amount during her sleep times. Lots of short, rapid feedings can be just as good for baby's intake as fewer longer feedings.
    - Since baby's weight gain is fine, I don't see a reason why Domperidone would be helpful. Your baby's normal weight gain points to normal intake and normal supply. More milk in the breast isn't necessarily going to make her nurse more when she's not really interested in nursing.

If this were my baby, I think I would try an experiment. Instead of bending your life around her naps and her feedings, how about just doing what you would normally be doing, nursing her whenever she wants even if that means she sometimes goes several hours without nursing or if she nurses very frequently but for short time periods. Meanwhile, watch her diaper output more carefully than usual. If it continues to be normal, then her intake probably is, too.

When you say your baby 'a latch is "poor", what exactly do you mean? Does it look bad, or does it feel bad?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your response Mommal. I find her latch is poor because I often have nipple tenderness once in awhile even pain. Also when she is done nursing one side of my nipple has been flattened. I did not experience these things with my son. I have tried to offer her when she wants but she has only asked for milk today near her naptimes thus falls sleep. How heavy should diapers be at 5 months? It's just so hard not knowing if i stop feeding her in her sleep whether she will still gain as much.

I just wanted to say I am in the same boat. My DD latches great and everything but has reflux and will only nurse when tired. As a result, she is in the 25th percentile for weight but only the 1st percentile for height. She looks chubby because she's so short! In any case, I also have a 5 and 3 year old at home with me and I feel your pain. It's so hard to be rushing back home all of the time so you can nurse at nap time. My LO won't even nurse for a minute if she's not tired. When I read people nurse 8 time a day on here it makes me so jealous!! I guess I don't have any advice but just wanted you to know I feel your pain!