Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: about to give up..

Default Re: about to give up..

I really need to invest in a boppy! I just use a loose pillow right now. She doesn't really fall back like from gravity, it is more like side to side (kind of like a dog playing tug-of-war with a rope, yanking back and fourth, obviously not as vigorous) and sometimes she'll pull back towards her into the loose pillow. It seems like she is trying to pull more milk out. I try to compress my breast and this does seem to help but only while I'm compressing. It probably is a combination of how I'm supporting her head and her trying to express more milk. Now that I think about it, she only does this after long nursing sessions. She then ends up falling asleep at the breast and nibbles every so often. I'm trying to get my supply up and wean her off the formula, already today I have noticed a difference from yesterday, yesterday it was 15oz of formula, today I only used 10oz of formula. I've literally spent my whole day breastfeeding!! I'm going to have to re-wash those clothes I forgot about in the washing machine...

If you want to invest in a breastfeeding pillow, I suggest the 'my breast friend' pillow has a better shape than the boppy. The round top/curve of the boppy makes a gap or crevice between baby and mom that can lead to a poor latch/sore nipples. The boppy was not initially designed for breastfeeding but rather as a pillow to prop a not quite sitting-up baby up with. The my breast friend has a flat top.

On the other hand, if someone offers you a free boppy, you can modify it by filling in the crevice with a rolled up baby blanket.

You can also use regular (firmer) pillows, couch pillows or the like- to create a similar effect as a breastfeeding pillow.

Sounds like you are doing really great!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cstroe View Post
    I've literally spent my whole day breastfeeding!!
    Yup, that's life with a breastfeeding newborn! Sounds like you are making great progress. Keep up the great work!

From friends who have used both the boppy and the brest friend, I've also heard that they prefer the brest friend.

I went and bought the boppy. I am also going to agree, it isn't any better than just using a pillow. She falls down in between the boppy and I unless I really prop myself up, she still sinks in tho and her latch doesn't feel right positioned that way. I'm considering returning it. I figured I'd try it since Kmart had it on sale for $17.

Sorry the boppy was a bust...