Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Forceful Let Down/Feeding - making feeding a drain for NB

Default Forceful Let Down/Feeding - making feeding a drain for NB

Hi there,

I'm having a few issues feeding my 17 day old boy, I've googled and read the issues that I/We are having and I am putting it down to a forceful let down as well as 'forceful' supply when feeding. At the moment its making most feeds a little stressful. I've feed my two eldest children for over 2 years each and whilst I suffered in the first few weeks from engorgement, never had this kind of trouble with them at all.

Feeds start of with babe getting what seems like a years supply of milk in a few secs as well as gut loads of wind. It results in a horrible 'wind pain' cry, I have recently tried latching him on and then taking him off to allow my let down to flow out which helps a little, but it seems that once he starts drinking every suck (he is a one suck and swallow baby) gives him a huge amount of milk that continues for most of the feed including swallowing heaps of air. I burp him on average every few minutes as he becomes to fussy with to much wind in his belly.

Today I have tried pumping before a feed (Got 30ml in a few minutes with not much effort at all) which helped for the first few minutes of the feed but then he is still getting a lot of milk when suckling even after let down.

I have tried nursing him with him 'sitting up', which semi helps when I let down but not during the feed, I have tried laying on my back and feeding him but at the moment with him still all wonderfully newborn like I can not get comfortable or get correct attachment in this position.

I know it is still early days in our bfing relationship, but it's just becoming a bit of a dreaded thing feeding time which is hard since it is so often at this stage. I know that (hopefully) the whole let down thing will settle down in the next few weeks, but also wondering about the after let down feeding... is there such thing as him sucking so efficiently (for need of a better word) that he is getting so much in one suck? I have never been engorged this time round, let down is not painful when I am feeding him but it is painful if it happens with him not attached (i.e into a breastpad etc) So if there are any suggestions which I have not tried, I'd love to hear them

(Phew, I hope that all dribble on makes sense!)

Default Re: Forceful Let Down/Feeding - making feeding a drain for N

I have tried nursing him with him 'sitting up', which semi helps when I let down but not during the feed, I have tried laying on my back and feeding him but at the moment with him still all wonderfully newborn like I can not get comfortable or get correct attachment in this position.
    You do not need to lay on your back. In fact nursing with mom lying flat on her back is potentially dangerous with a newborn. Instead, try leaning back, with your back and shouldres well supported by pillows, back of couch, etc. Lean at any rate of recline that feels comfortable to you. And baby can be in any position, including “sitting up” (Head above tummy) while pressed/leaning tummy to you. It feels awkward at first, just keep adjusting until you find the positions that work for you and your baby. I assure you brand newborns can do laid back nursing just fine.

Forceful letdown definitely affects some kids worse than others, plus it is typical for production to be a bit higher with each child.

Here is waht helped me the most wiht forceful letdown which I had with all kids but really bad wiht the third:
    1)Nursing VERY frequently. More often than "normal." Less time between feedings, less milk build up in the breast. This helped more than anything else I think.
    2) nursing "laid back" aka, leaning back
    3) if baby sputtered or was pulling off etc, off, I took baby off, let the letdown go into a cloth, and then put baby back on. Letdown may happen several times per feeding.
    4) Letting baby nurse one side at a time, only switching breasts if baby really wanted to.
    5) Rarely, hand expressing just before feeding. But not pumping, which some moms find helpful but was to much of a pain in the neck for me to even consider. Plus you have to be very careful not to overstimulate your supply (even more) with the pumping.)

These should help baby handle the flow while your milk production calms down over the next few weeks. If it does NOT calm down normally, you may want to consider block nursing. But I suggest, not yet.

I'll post some links to pictures of moms doing laid back in next post so you can see the variety.

Default Re: Forceful Let Down/Feeding - making feeding a drain for N

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, you want the one on latch. Notice that the mother is in a “slightly” laid back position, looks like on a couch? This is a very “adjustable” position, play around to find how you and your baby are most comfortable. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

This video is not in English but it does not matter. Shows the versatility of laid back nursing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZ3zb5OYMA

hope this helps!