Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply after anitbiotics

Default Low milk supply after anitbiotics

My baby is 10 months and is EBF. I pump twice while I am at work and use to get 5 oz each pimp session. The last week I have been on antibiotics for 10 days. I am no longer on the antibiotics and have notice a major decrease in my milk supply when I pump. I barley get 3 oz with each pump. Ive tried adding extra pump sessions but doesn't seem to be producing more milk.

I seem to have plenty of milk when my baby needs to nurse. I am just concerned about her having enough milk while I am at work. I have a freezer supply but I am quickly going through that. I am not sure what I should do once I am I have used up all my freezer supply and don't have enough milk to feed her while I am gone.

Would appreciate any and all advice.

Default Re: Low milk supply after anitbiotics

Hi mama,
    I don't know that the antibiotics are actually the problem. It's pretty common to hit a "pump slump" at the 9 or 10 month mark. And I'm really wondering about your pump, especially since you say you have plenty of milk when baby is nursing. Pumps are machines and they wear down. What kind of pump are you using? A simple thing to do is to change out replaceable parts like membranes, maybe valves and flanges too - sometimes there can be small tears, holes or cracks that you don't even notice that decrease the efficiency. If that doesn't work, consider calling the pump maker to walk you through some troubleshooting.

I assume if you were on antibiotics that you were sick? That can take its toll on milk supply too. Other things to think about: could you be pregnant? Are you about to have your period? Any new hormonal birth control? Any change in baby's nursing frequency - for example baby sleeping longer stretches at night?

The pump I use is a Hygeia pump. It feels like there is a lot of suction. I mean I only say I have plenty of milk when baby nurses because she doesn't seem to complain so I can only assume I have milk. I will look into change out the parts.

If that doesn't seem to help what should I do to get my baby more milk while I am away from her?

I was taking the antibiotics for a skin infection and only noticed the decrease once I was on the antibiotics for a couple of days.

Well, you're off the antibiotics now, so if that was affecting things, they should be out of your system within a few days. If changing the pump parts doesn't help, you could consider renting a hospital grade pump for the next couple months; that helps increase output for some moms. Otherwise, the only other thing to do is to increase your nursing and/or pumping frequency. You mention increasing your pumping frequency, when did you start that? You could also try pumping a little longer for some or all of the sessions, even if you are "pumping dry" that can still help stimulate your supply. And/or add a pumping or nursing session in at other times of the day. For example, pump on your way to or from work (if you commute by car); add in a pumping session before bedtime or in the morning. Or add in a nighttime nursing session if baby is not nursing frequently at night. The good thing is, baby is 10 months old, once she hits a year old she will need less milk (or none) during the day - if you are nursing 3-5 times per 24 hours, for example, she can drink water during the day, or you can give cow's milk or other animal milk. So you're really very close!

Thank you for all the help. I just have a few more questions. So if I don't get any more milk from pumping, should I split the 6 oz I do get between two bottles or let her have all 6 oz at once and replace her second bottle with water? Also it would be ok for her to have an animal milk before she is 12 months. It would only be for one bottle.
    So while I am at work she will either have I bottle of expressed breast milk and one bottle of water or one bottle of breast milk and one bottle of animal's milk. Sorry I am asking many question on this topic. I just don't want to have to make up the difference of lost milk with formula. My extra pump sessions don't pump out any extra milk so I am at a complete loss. Thank you for your help.

How big are the bottles you have been giving? Generally a "meal" at the breast will be 2 or 3 oz, maybe 4. So I would suggest two 3 oz bottles. After that - usually the recommendation is not to switch to animal's milk until a year, but you can check with your baby's doctor and see what he/she thinks. How many hours are you apart form baby? If baby is happy with the 6 oz, you could essentially encourage her to "reverse cycle," ie do more nursing when together with you, with less expressed breastmilk during the day. Just be prepared to do a lot of nursing when you are together! Of course that will be great for your supply too. Another idea is to do a "nursing holiday," if it's possible to take a couple days off of work and just nurse, nurse, nurse that might help too. How many days now has it been that you have added extra pumping sessions in? It can take a couple days for your breasts to "get the message" that they need to ramp up supply, so if it's only been a couple days, you might want to hang in there and see if you start to see an effect of the extra pumping. And if you do end up with formula, it will be for a short time and only making up a small portion of what she takes in each day - if you continue nursing as you are, no reason to think that you can't continue breastfeeding for as long as you and baby like!