Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sharing a sweet moment

Default sharing a sweet moment

Just have to share a sweet moment (in a place where I think it will be appreciated).

So we've been doing the ASL sign for milk to signify nursing since my son was 6 mos old (he's 16 mos now). About a month ago he started doing it while we're nursing (and I always respond like "Yes, we're nursing! are you telling me about the milk?" etc etc).

Yesterday for the first time he used the sign out of the blue to ASK to nurse. We were winding down for bed, he was playing with blocks, and I was waiting for him to show he was ready to start our bedtime routine of nursing and reading books (usually he just starts climbing into our nursing chair), when he suddenly stopped, walked over to me, and made the milk sign with both hands! It really got to me -- the first time he initiated communication TO me (instead of in response to me) to ask for what he wants, and it was for nursing. Love it!

Default Re: sharing a sweet moment

Awwww! I'm so excited for you and your lo! My dd is 7 months and I have been doing the same with her. I can't wait until she can do this. They definitely have a way to melt your heart!
    Do you have any tips for helping teach /learn the milk sign?
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

So cute! Definitely melts my heart each time when my LO signs for milk!

newmomma22813 - I just used the milk sign each time we nursed. It's also been really helpful for me to transition out of the shirt-pulling phase - when she was pulling on my shirt, I would say, "No pulling on my shirt, use the milk sign," and then do the sign. Now she uses the sign rather than pulling on my shirt!

Bfwmomof3- Thanks for the signing tips. That's pretty much what I have been doing. I just have to remember to do it every time. Thanks again
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

How wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    It's also been really helpful for me to transition out of the shirt-pulling phase - when she was pulling on my shirt, I would say, "No pulling on my shirt, use the milk sign," and then do the sign. Now she uses the sign rather than pulling on my shirt!
    Now, why didn't I think of this? Great idea! I think my baby is still too young to get it, but she is already lifting my shirt, pulling my necklines down, and generally all about getting them out herself. But she knows and often uses the milk sign!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmomma22813 View Post
    Do you have any tips for helping teach /learn the milk sign?
    We did/do the same as bfwmomof3 -- when i ask him "do you want to nurse?" i do the milk sign at the same time, and then we nurse. I knew he was getting the association pretty early because he would respond by crawling (then later, running!) over to our nursing chair Same thing with other signs -- just doing the sign as you say the word and do the thing you're describing. I could tell by his responses to me that his comprehension was there. But very recently -- like over the past few days! -- there's been a big leap in his communication back through signs -- he's been doing milk, more, food, and water! It's awesome because developmentally we are pretty far from him being about to say/pronounce those words (he has a few words so far, but he understands a LOT more than he can say). But he IS able to make the signs, and it shows you how much further along they are, cognitively, than they are able to verbally express. It also seems to be neutralizing some typical toddler frustrations ... fewer meltdowns when I understand right away that he's hungry or wants his water!

So I would say just stick with it -- pick the signs that you think are going to be most helpful in your daily life, and use them consistently to build the association of meaning. (For us those words are things like -- milk, food/eat, water, more, finished ... and recently we added bed, sleep, bath, clean up.) It will seem like nothing is happening for a while, but it will be sinking in, and then one day it will just "click" and she'll do a sign back to you And also be on the lookout for signs that they make up, or modify -- that's OK too, because the goal isn't for them to be able to converse in perfect ASL but rather just communicate to you in some way. (My son kind of made his own version of "more" but he uses it consistently and in context so that works for me!)