Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible to BF after bottle feeding/pumpin for months?

Default Is it possible to BF after bottle feeding/pumpin for months?

My daughter is almost 7 months old. She used to nurse a few times a day and take bottles the rest of the day. But since I have been back to work (about 4 months) she refuses to nurse. So I have been exclusively pumping. I stopped trying after awhile because all she would do is cry anytime she came near my breast. The past few days I thought I would try again and she either cries, or just plays with it and then bites. I've tried squirting milk in her mouth a few times so she would know what it was. I would really like to nurse her in the evenings instead of always be stuck on the pump. Also my supply is starting to go down since I am cutting down on my pumps. I thought a few nursing sessions a day would help increase it. Is it too late now to even get her to try. I know everyone says skin to skin and keep offering, but is she too old for that to work or is it still instinctual? I just don't know how much longer I can deal with pumping all the time. I work full time so I don't have a lot of time with her when she is awake. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Default Re: Is it possible to BF after bottle feeding/pumpin for mon

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on making this far with pumping! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to make it to 7 months when the baby isn't nursing.

At 7 months, I don't know if nursing is really "instinctual" anymore. A newborn baby is driven to root, latch, and suck no matter what is being offered- a breast, a bottle, an elbow. Older babies have a much more thoughtful approach- they're not going to latch onto something which they know will not deliver, not unless there's a good reason to do so. I think that the older baby's much more playful, experimental, and cuddly nature is your entry point for getting your baby to nurse. Keep trying skin-to-skin and playful approaches, like nursing in the bath or squirting milk into the baby's mouth. Make it a game and she may decide to play along.

Finally, I think it's wise to keep your expectations realistic. After 4 months of not nursing and breast refusal, I think it would be unusual for the baby to go back to the breast. Possible- my sister went back to nursing after 3 months off- but also unusual.

Let us know if we can help in other ways, mama! Maybe some pumping tips?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Is it possible to BF after bottle feeding/pumpin for mon

I didn't think it was possible. I was hoping to be able to bf past a year, but I am just going to try and pump for the next few months. Hopefully I will make it to a year or at least 9 or 10 months. I should have tried harder when I first went back to work, but I was so busy with work and my other children I just felt overwhelmed. Thank you for your help.