Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can you over feed baby?

Default Can you over feed baby?

I know this is a silly question because you're not supposed to be able to over feed but I've been exclusively nursing after some issues with nipple pain and today I'm back at work after my maternity leave and I pumped 7 oz total and I typically nurse on both sides at that time of day. My LO will be 2 months on the 7th and is already in 3 mo clothes. Since I stopped pumping, I thought I'd just sent just over 3.5 oz to the sitter in each of the bags. (I pulled frozen milk from last month to send today) Should I go to nursing on one side per feeding?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Can you over feed baby?

Baby won't overfeed at the breast. Just because you get 7 oz out with the pump, that doesn't mean baby normally drinks 7 oz - she may not be draining you as completely as the pump did. I suggest continuing to go by baby's cues. Offer her the first breast, then offer the second. If she wants it, she'll nurse, if she doesn't, she won't. You just started back at work, so you want to make sure your supply doesn't drop too much as you are substituting workday pumping for nursing. So I don't think you want to restrict baby's nursing in any way at this point. Also, just because you pump 7 oz in a session, doesn't mean baby should get 7 oz in the bottle. She is more likely getting 2 or 3 or perhaps 4 oz at the breast, so her bottles should be similar - I think sending a 3.5 oz bag is just fine. If you have a relative oversupply at the moment, which is not uncommon early on, just freeze the extra - it may be useful later if you hit a pump slump! You can keep your freezer stash fresh by freezing on Friday and thawing the oldest milk on Monday.

Yes to all the above!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies, I was worried because nursing is to empty the breast more than the pump and she's been spitting up more and has been gassy so I thought too much milk but I feel better now!