Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike 9 month old pumping question

Default Nursing strike 9 month old pumping question

My 9 month old has been refusing to nurse due to what I am suspecting is teething pain (she already has 4 teeth and the behavior has always been similar when those tooth bumps show up). This time, she has bitten me, hard! She has only nursed twice today and normally we'd be on feeding #5 or 6. I have normal supply, she is otherwise healthy, just had a normal weight gain check 2 weeks ago. She eats about 1/4 cup solids per day, no other fluids, no bottle, no cup yet.

My question is, do I pump on days like this? I don't have an electric pump and there is just no way I can manually pump/express that many times with an upset baby and a preschooler for 9 hours by myself. I'm kind of worried about it, because today she would only bite me every time she asked to nurse. Finally she stopped, thank goodness, but it's so upsetting for both of us. I don't want it to hurt my supply if it keeps up, but I can't see buying a pump since I don't pump already and never had the intention of doing so. My nursing goal is natural led weaning but with this biting I have my doubts.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Nursing strike 9 month old pumping question

I think you'll be okay pumping using your manual pump or hand expressing if you start to feel full/uncomfortable. Hopefully the strike will break within a few days and she'll go back to her usual nursing frequency, at which point she can build your supply back up to where it needs to be. At 9 months with normal weight gain she can weather a temporary dip in supply.

You've probably read this already, but I'll link to it just in case you haven't - I found it helpful for getting through a strike:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Hang in there, strikes are nerve-wracking, but usually just bumps in the road - no reason to think that you can't continue to have a long and happy breastfeeding relationship going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I think you'll be okay pumping using your manual pump or hand expressing if you start to feel full/uncomfortable. Hopefully the strike will break within a few days and she'll go back to her usual nursing frequency, at which point she can build your supply back up to where it needs to be. At 9 months with normal weight gain she can weather a temporary dip in supply.

You've probably read this already, but I'll link to it just in case you haven't - I found it helpful for getting through a strike:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Hang in there, strikes are nerve-wracking, but usually just bumps in the road - no reason to think that you can't continue to have a long and happy breastfeeding relationship going forward!
    Thanks! Also, do I skip the solids on days like this as well since when she does nurse I want her to fill up as much as possible?
    and Mama to two little girls

I think you can go either way. If you feel like she'll be more motivated to nurse without the solids, it won't hurt her to skip the solids. But she's not getting much solids anyway, so it doesn't sound like that's a motivating factor for her not nursing, and maybe it's a way for her to get a few calories in that's less painful to her teeth than nursing.