Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old not gaining weight, please help...long post

Default 2 month old not gaining weight, please help...long post

Hi,

I wanted to know if any of you have advice or input regarding my situation.

My son is 12 weeks old, he weighed 7lbs 9oz at birth, his current weight is 10lbs 12oz. Within the last month his weight gain has slowed down significantly. He has only gained 5 oz in one month. He is a happy and alert baby and is meeting all of his milestones. But his pediatrician is concerned and now I am worried as well. Here are some issues we have going on:

-He has silent reflux, it's not severe but he has wet burps, and he regurgitates and just swallows it often. His pediatrician started him on Zantac .3ml twice a day.

-I have an oversupply of breast milk, he often chokes when nursing and takes huge gulps. He only nurses for 5-7 minutes on one breast at each feeding, he eats every two hours at night he was sleeping for 6-7 hours straight, but since his doctors visit I've been waking him up to eat after 4hrs. He has enough wet diapers a day, and his poop is never green, but it is a bit mucusy

-He has horrible gas, he cries in pain often and pulls his legs in or curls up. I have eliminated dairy and eggs from my diet.

-He has bilateral inguinal hernias, the doctors have said that this does not affect him, but how can it not when his intestines are not in the right place? They come down into his scrotum . He is undergoing surgery to repair the hernias tomorrow, prayers are appreciated

Your input is appreciated, I feel so overwhelmed with the hernias, lack of weight gain, his gassiness and we had thrush.

Default Re: 2 month old not gaining weight, please help...long post

Welcome to the forum! First things first- has baby always been weighed following correct protocol, i.e. in the nude or in a dry diaper, using the same scale every time?

How many times per day does baby nurse, when left to his own devices?

Has baby been treated for thrush, and were you treated at the same time?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you of responding! He's been weighed nude, I don't know if they've used the same scale.

He nurses between 8 and 10 times a day.

We were both treated for thrush at the same time, I was on Diflucan for 2 weeks and ointment for my nipples. He just had a yeast rash so they prescribed a ointment for that. His yeast rash is gone, but I still feel like I have it in my breasts. I got another prescription for the all purpose nipple ointment.

How does baby spend his time when he is NOT nursing? held most of the time, more of less upright? That may help wiht the reflux and gas. You can also try infant massage.

If your baby is truly not gaining well, it is unlikely the amount of breastmilk, as baby nurses with normal frequency and you report that you have oversupply. Its fine to wake baby for that night feed, but aside from that, this does not sound like a breastfeeding problem. But what can happen, if a mom has oversupply, is baby gains VERY fast early on, then is slows down as production normalizes. In other words if there really is a weight gain issue, it does not sound as if it is about your milk-quality or quantity.

IN any case, thank goodness you are nursing as your baby has surgery. Have you been told to withhold breast milk from your baby overnight or some long period? That is only needed for four hours before surgery. You can read here for pre-procedural fasting recommendations for the breastfed baby:

For moms: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-surgery/

For doctors:
    http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_080312.pdf

I met with a lactation consultant and she said that he may not be gaining weight because he's getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk, she suggested I block feed, 2 consecutive feedings on a breast then switch, so that he gets more hindmilk and my supply regulates. I did that for a week. Do you think that will help? Should I try blockfeeding again, if so for how long? His surgery is scheduled for 7:30am, they told me to stop feeding him after 3am, I can give him water up until 5am.

Can your lc show you or tell you the source of the information that overproduction causes poor weight gain? That is not my understanding. My understanding is that overproduction causes rapid -faster than typical-weight gain. Foremilk is fatty and nutritious, while less fatty than hindmilk.

Also, baby is 12 weeks old, but it is only in the last month that there was a weight gain concern. Right? Or has there always been a concern?

Block feeding will reduce your milk production. That is what it is designed to do. It seems risky to me to do this when a baby is not gaining well. 'Too much' foremilk/not enough hindmilk' can also be 'treated' by nursing frequently, maybe only doing one side each feeding (unless baby wants both sides.)

I am going to link some info for you. I know you have the surgery to worry about, so just get to it when you can.

overproduction general info- http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

the dark side of block feeding http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html

with LLLMeg. My understanding is that babies whose moms have overproduction tend to gain weight faster than average. This very reliable resource http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/ says that the only thing that has been shown to make a difference in terms of weight gain is VOLUME of milk, which would explain why oversupply tends to correlate with higher weight gain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"