Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping at work beyond a year:

Default Re: Pumping at work beyond a year:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    More than anything, I suppose I just worry about having these conversations because I am the first person who has even pumped a full year in my company, let alone beyond! I need to just tough up and work it out, though.
    Some women are really empowered when they think about the fact that they are not just advocating for themselves, but advocating for every woman who comes behind them. I think you really will be doing others a service too if you are open about breastfeeding your toddler. It sounds like your workplace has been really supportive which is great!

When you pump wean how do you get the child used to the idea of no mommy milk available? esp. for those of us who don't do cows milk and use other milks sparingly?
    I actually didn't do that. I left some milk of mine behind every day while pumping, and then recently she just didn't want it. My LO drinks water for the most part, and then once a day or so some coconut water and sometimes apple juice diluted with water. She also has smoothies every couple days (one area we use almond milk and we do use yogurt sometimes). I was worried when she started daycare that she'd have a hard time because all the other kids get milk. I sent some rice milk for her and I don't think she drank much of it, so I stopped with that. A few times she's said she wants milk at school, but she only says that at random times once in a while. We're not really in the habit of sitting around drinking milk of any kind, so I think that's just how it is for her.

For sonogirl, regarding talking about it at work -- my tactic (although it's my style and probably not everyone's) was to just talk about pumping like it was anything that was part of my day. I'd just say to co-workers, "I need to leave this meeting early to go pump," or some such thing. Some men at our office have complained about how they think pumping and breastmilk is gross, so I probably played it up a little to annoy them! But I think a lot of people just followed along with my comfort level. I think since you'll be doing it so little now, and because you really could skip pumping if it just didn't match up to your schedule a day or two here and there (happened to me occasionally), it shouldn't be a big deal for your employers, provided they are reasonable humans.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I definitely plan to drop one, if not two, sessions after her 1st birthday in November. I do sort of feel like at minimum, I would like to keep one pump a day just for supply purposes, f'or a while. She eats solids really well--I don't think I need to even bring cow's milk in. I just want a gentler transition to water from my milk.

Pumping rights are protected here in NYS for three years after the birth of a child. I am mostly worried that my employer will start making me take the breaks without pay--I've been lucky so far, they pay me to pump right now! So I don't want to take advantage of the generosity and overstay my welcome,but I also really do feel pretty strongly that I will probably need longer than the year point to hang up the horns completely!
    Here's the thing; it's NOT a transition for your milk to water. It's water with solids. Which is in reality a good habit to build long term. Water with meals. And if you are still breastfeeding 3-5times in a day, then you don't need to replace your milk with cow's milk. But don't base that decision off of solids intake. It needs to be based on your milk intake. Because no amount of solids really replaces the fat content of milk. Which is needed for brain development.
    And in terms of being paid for pumping breaks, they don't have to pay you. But in my state on an 8hour shift you are allowed to 15 minute paid breaks. So if mothers use THOSE breaks to pump, then they get paid. It's when they use ADDITIONAL breaks that they aren't paid. So if you are only pumping twice for 15minutes and once on your lunch break...that is in the realm of totally reasonable. If you are taking MORE than that and getting paid, I honestly think your employer is being WAY OVER REASONABLE quite frankly. And would consider reducing (which it sounds like you are) or staying off the clock to make it more even. Because more than a half hour of paid pumping a day for more than a year...that's a lot. And I say that as an HR rep who totally support and allows breastfeeding at a very very small company. So don't feel like you HAVE to stop. But consider reworking your pumping schedule so that it DOESN'T actually cost them money at this point if possible.

Way too lazy for formula

We have already started offering her small amounts of water in a straw cup with her lunch while I work, so I think she'll take to water with meals just fine. She does ask for milk in between the solids meals, though...that's more of the transition I will have to work through. Just water at those times? Solids snacks then? Something else entirely?

I do actually work during my pumping breaks--I can't do ultrasounds, obviously, but I have to write reports, so I am usually doing that, if the space they provide me has a computer. One of my breaks is my lunch break. So really, my total time pumping is 80 minutes, and my total paid break time + unpaid lunch is 60 minutes, so it tends to balance out, provided I get to pump in a room with a computer for at least 20 minutes! So the bigger issue in my situation is just being provided space. I'll just need to advocate that I get somewhere, just for the one break, or whatever I wind up needing.
    Last edited by @llli*sonogirl; October 2nd, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

We have already started offering her small amounts of water in a straw cup with her lunch while I work, so I think she'll take to water with meals just fine. She does ask for milk in between the solids meals, though...that's more of the transition I will have to work through. Just water at those times? Solids snacks then? Something else entirely?
    Where are you in terms of solids? By the year point my son was eating 3meals a day and two snacks and still feeding on demand. So what I packed for Daycare was lunch and 2 snacks. And a water sippy. He was by 14months able to just drink water with snacks and nurse on demand with no issues. He didn't have any interest in cow's milk until after his 2nd b-day. I allowed that. We did however do other dairy. But I kept it to one or two servings a day. So either yogurt, string cheese or cream cheese as part of a snack and then if there was cheese as part of dinner fine.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Where are you in terms of solids? By the year point my son was eating 3meals a day and two snacks and still feeding on demand. So what I packed for Daycare was lunch and 2 snacks. And a water sippy. He was by 14months able to just drink water with snacks and nurse on demand with no issues. He didn't have any interest in cow's milk until after his 2nd b-day. I allowed that. We did however do other dairy. But I kept it to one or two servings a day. So either yogurt, string cheese or cream cheese as part of a snack and then if there was cheese as part of dinner fine.
    We do BLW, and she's a pretty prolific eater at this point. Lunch and dinner, sizeable amounts, every day. Breakfast about 50% of the time. She eats all kinds of things. Pretty much whatever we eat. Spicy chicken tortilla soup last night, in fact!

I don't actually have a problem with dairy, either--I'm just not sure she even would need cow's milk. She nurses a LOT. We eat yogurt and cheese. Baby loves both! So at this point, I guess I am most concerned with my supply, and easing gradually over from her 9-10 oz of BM a day to something else after the year.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

But you don't need to. If you are going to continue to nurse her on demand, it sounds as if her solid intake has ALREADY replaced what she needed those oz of milk for when she was an infant. So now it's just about you gradually backing away. She won't starve at this point from the lack of those oz of milk. And as you will see, after the year point your supply won't suffer as you decide to let go of the sessions. You will in fact be able to continue to feed the baby on demand as often as you want for as long as you want. You don't need to replace those oz with anything. Because you have already replaced them with lunch and dinner.

Way too lazy for formula