Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 week old suddenly won't nurse??

Default 10 week old suddenly won't nurse??

My 10 week old DD has been breastfed since she was born with no problems. She takes a bottle fine but only gets one once a week or so if I'm out. For some reason she has been refusing to nurse for most of today. Out of desperation I tried a bottle of breast milk and she took it no problem so she is obviously hungry. Any ideas why she might be refusing to nurse and what I can do about it? Is this what's called a nursing strike? Thanks!

Default Re: 10 week old suddenly won't nurse??

This does sound like a nursing strike. This link has good information on them, and options for getting baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be particularly helpful.

Since your baby is so young and this is so abrupt, I think it might be a good idea to take her in to the doctor and make sure she's not sick. A stuffy nose or ear infection can sometimes be to blame.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 10 week old suddenly won't nurse??

I agree with mommal, this sounds like a nursing strike, although this is very young for a nursing strike.

I would also suggest you relook at the bottle use, to se if it has been increasing as of late. In most places a mother may breastfeed her baby in public-it is either specifically allowed under the law, or is certainly not AGAINST the law. So bottles when out and about are not needed. If a mom is on the go a lot that can lead to a lot of bottles and THAT (along with pacifier use in some cases, and scheduling feedings as well) can lead to ‘triple nipple syndrome” –Basically, baby is gradually taught to not nurse.

But as a temporary situation, many mothers struggle with baby occasionally not wanting to nurse and being fussy at the breast, etc. There are many reasons or no reason. Usually it is easy enough to simply comfort baby another way and offer the breast again shortly.

Where such situations signal the premature end of breastfeeding is when mom assumes baby no longer likes to nurse or "prefers" bottles and gives more and more bottles and less and less offers the breast or no longer attempts to solve the nursing problem, should there be one.

Your baby drinking from the bottle after refusing to nurse does not mean much of anything, except POSSIBLY that nursing is painful (due to an ear infection maybe.) A baby who CAN comfortably nurse, WILL nurse if hungry (and for comfort etc.) When a baby gets a bottle, they usually cannot help but to drink, especially if the bottle is given in a conventional way (baby laid back, bottle tipped above, milk continually flowing.)