Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5w3d latch problem

Default 5w3d latch problem

recently my lo hasn't been latching correctly. I've had issues getting her to open very wide from the beginning. she has a extremely strong suck, isnt tongue tied. Now she wont open hardly at all and when she does and i get a decent latch she pushes my nipple out to where she just has the nipple between her gums and its extremely painful. I've tried relatching her over and over and over again, changing positions and im so lost. I'm trying so hard to keep nursing her but im starting to get discouraged and it hurts so bad. its getting to the point i dread nursing. i live in a small town and resources are minimal. I've been thinking about trying nipple shields but not to sure on them. any advice?

Default Re: 5w3d latch problem

Laid back nursing might help infant get in a good position and latch better. There is a page on it in the tool kit of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding that you can download for free. Are you nipples cracked and bleeding. If so I would recommend asking your OB for a Rx of All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Nipple Shields are sometimes helpful when you get to the end of your rope. But they can also cause other problems for example if infant does not latch to sheild correctly she might not be able to transfer milk effectively. Have you tried football hold and cross cradle hold these are my go to's until my LO learns to latch correctly. My last son wouldn't open very wide and I was sore a lot longer that with my other children but as his mouth got bigger and he got better at nursing the pain lessened. Hope you get some good advice and find what works for you and your little one.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

How is your milk supply? Do you have a lot of milk? Ever see any of the following things:
    - Frequent feelings of fullness/engorgement
    - Baby unlatching from the breast, crying and fussing
    - Fast feedings
    - Milk squirting or streaming from the breast when baby pulls off during a letdown
    - Strong letdown sensation
    - Lots of leaking
    - baby coughing, gagging, spluttering, or making a click or cluck noise while nursing
    - Able to pump a lot of milk (if you are pumping)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

she can open very wide she just won't for me. its very aggravating. my nipples are dry and very few cracks and one has a little blood on it after nursing, like a pin drop. I've been using lanolin like is going out of style hoping it will help, but i do not think it helps me any. i starred out doing the football and or cross cradle hold. that's what they taught me in the hospital.

i believe my milk supply is good. she's gaining good, good diapers. my right one often feels very full and hard much more than my left. during feedings once i get her in good enough I'm not in extreme pain she nurses like a champ. she eats for about 20 minutes a side. i offer both at feedings. i do not generally feel let down unless I'm cold, in public and very full. but when we are fighting each other to latch it does dribble out and make a mess, I've tried hand expressing/pumping first before offering to no avail. she clicks and clucks something fierce, the ped said its due to her having a strong stuck - I'm starting to think she doesn't have a clue about bf. she occasionally sputters and coughs but the coughing is after she's finished nursing. and i pump also because I'm going back to work soon and want to keep her on breast milk. i can usually get 2-3 ounces each side if ive been out without her or over night i get up to pump (if i dont i get up with boobs so rock hard i cant do anything to relieve them for hours. she gets fed pumped bm over night. shes taking a bottle - philips avent natural, i make sure shes in more of a up right position, bottle not tilted very high so she has to work to get it out, its a newborn flow nipple, and i make her take it like a breast, wide open latch, bring her to the nipple ect. she gets maybe 1 a night so i can get some sleep - granted while so feeds her, im pumping. but it usually takes me 1 hour to feed her, and when he does and i can go pump it only takes 30ish minutes.

i hope i answered all your questions. ive been meaning to get a video of her feeding with the clucking and hurting me but i focus on feeding her when the time comes around because im scared to death she will pull at my nipple or break latch or clamp down.

ooh and sometimes i wonder about my nipple shape/size. when she has it in between her gums it looks very inverted when i break her off, but when she actually gets a good latch i break her off and its nice and stretched to the roof of her mouth with a flatish spot from her tongue. also when i say shes latched good, i mean good enough shes not hurting me so bad but theres still pain. shes crying, im crying i just want to get it over with. ive read countless help sites, watched endless videos and we cannot get it. im really at the end of my rope and i do not want to be

How soon do you have to go back to work? The reason I ask is that the pump and all the bottles could be a complicating factor in your nursing relationship, and I'm thinking that it might make sense to eliminate or at least limit them for now. Focus on nursing, make sure your baby gets every chance to become an adept nurser before you go back to work and she's having to take a lot of bottles.

One issue with bottles is that babies don't have to open wide to get a bottle into their mouth. You can push that silicone teat right into a half-open mouth. So when you do give a bottle, I suggest tickling the baby's lips with it and waiting for her to open wide before you put the bottle in. That will help her keep a good latch habit.

Since that one nighttime bottle means you wake up anyway, I'm thinking that ditching it would mean that you'd get more sleep, baby would get fewer bottles, and once you go back to work you'd be comfortable with nighttime nursing and you'd therefore have more opportunities to nurse. That can be really important once mom is back at work and baby is getting lots of bottles during the day.

I think your pediatrician is out to lunch for his/her explanation for the click/cluck. As far as I know, clicking/clucking is the sound the baby makes when she breaks suction. Sometimes a baby will break suction because it helps her control milk flow, which is generally most problematic when mom has fast letdowns as a consequence of oversupply. I am kind of leaning towards that as an explanation for what you're seeing, since you mention you're still feeling full. But the amount you're pumping at one time isn't excessive, so I'm also wondering about another possible cause of clicking, which is tongue tie. Babies with tongue ties often can't maintain their hold on the breast and they lose suction and "slip up" onto the nipple.

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is to take your baby in to a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Hands-one help can make an incredible difference! If the cost puts you off, remember that a year's supply of formula costs around $1500-2000, so a visit with a LC is generally pretty cheap by comparison. Make sure you ask about something called "the breast sandwich"- that can sometimes help a baby get maximum breast into a tiny mouth.

I'm also wondering about your nipples. (Only on this forum could that not come across as totally creepy...) Are they generally flat or inverted? Having short, flat, or inverted nipples can make it difficult for the baby to get the nipple into the ideal position on the back of the tongue, underneath the soft palate.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

im hoping to go back part time after my 6 wk pp check up on the 8th. but its not fully decided. im getting a stash froze up for when i do.

that's what i do to get her to take a bottle. make sure she's open wide.

the ped said she's not tongue tired because she can stick her tongue out real good. didn't look in her mouth or anything. im looking for a different ped with more bf support and knowledge. just lost on how to find one where she has a medical card until my boyfriend gets hired on full time and gets private insurance. options are limited.

what's the average cost to see a lc? and how would i go about finding one in my area. Lexington ky is the closest major city.

lol yes nipples. coming out of my nursing bra they are smushed down and flat, i have to take the bra off before feedings to get them to come out. occasionally i have to pull on them or pump a few times with a hand pump to get them pulled out. i think they are pretty small or "short"

i was able to get a video of her clicking and popping on me this morning when she had a (what i think) was a decent latch. just hearing her click makes me hurt and want to cry

You can find a LC through your local La Leche League, through your pediatrician, midwife, or obstetrician, through your local hospital (just call the maternity department), or via this directory: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432. WIC might also be a good resource- sometimes they have breastfeeding counselors. Cost for a visit is variable. $100-200 for a visit seems to be a common rate, but some LCs work pro bono- I was very fortunate to have a LC who considers her work to be her ministry and therefore doesn't charge for it- and others will accept a reduced fee or spread out fee for moms who don't have the cash.

When your baby had that decent latch, how did it feel? Forget the clicking and popping for a minute, and just focus on the feeling. Was there pain?

yes there's pain. I've tried nursing her tonight instead of her nightly bottle. an hour just to get her half way latched on just one side. i couldn't take the pain anymore and just gave her the bottle.

Okay, that is definitely no good! Hands-on help seems like a must at this point.

You say the skin on your nipple is dry- is it flaky or shiny? Do you ever have itching or burning sensations? Is the nipple more red or pink than normal? Recent course of antibiotics for you or baby, recent vaginal yeast infection for you or diaper yeast in baby?