Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going away overnight

Default Going away overnight

I just found out I need to go on an overnight business trip in January. My baby will be 19 mos old. I have no desire to wean her. Assuming she is still nursing then, and I imagine she will be, should I bring a pump on my trip? She is in daycare all day and I don't pump at work anymore and by the end of the work day my breasts are ready to nurse! I don't think I would make it 24 hours. I am also concerned about my supply taking a hit. Lately she doesn't seem to get a lot of milk at times... There is LOTS of switching sides, acting frustrated, asking to nurse in a whiney desperate voice even after she has been nursing for a while and she is on my lap with total access to my breasts. At these times I can hand express only a drop or two instead of a full stream of milk. So I am a little concerned about that and trying to just let her nurse as much as she wants when we are together but I worry that 24 hours apart will compound the issue. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Going away overnight

Hi sprocket,
    I'm going away for work next month and my LO will be 19 months old at that time. I am planning to pump twice per day, morning and night. That's what I've done on the two trips that I've taken since LO turned one and it has worked out fine for me, but every mom is different. It's possible that you could go 24 hours and be just fine, I've definitely read other posts on here of moms who have done just that, but for me I know that it wouldn't work. Actually yesterday I missed my morning nursing session because I had to be at work early and by 3 pm I was leaking everywhere! Anyway, if you don't want to lug your double electric along, you could take a manual pump in case you feel uncomfortable. I'm planning on taking my double electric just because it's more efficient. In terms of supply, I don't think 24 hours will make a big difference, but of course if you are are worried about that, it can't hurt to pump for that reason as well.

My LO loves to switch sides too - most of the time I take off my shirt and bra (unless she just wants a quick sip) and she goes back and forth, back and forth. She also kneads/massages my breasts. I think she knows she can maximize how much milk she gets that way! How is your baby doing with solids? As they eat more solids in toddlerhood they don't need as many calories from milk, though of course it's still good nutrition for them. I think if you are giving free access to the breast, and encouraging nursing when you're together (ie, don't inadvertantly start doing "don't offer, don't refuse"), then you're doing what you need to do in terms of maintaining supply.

Certainly there is no reason to wean your daughter due to a business trip.

Can you pump while you are away? If not, what about hand expression? It is very likely you will have an issue of pain and possibly worse if you do not express any milk for 24 hours.

I am also concerned about my supply taking a hit. Lately she doesn't seem to get a lot of milk at times... There is LOTS of switching sides, acting frustrated, asking to nurse in a whiney desperate voice even after she has been nursing for a while and she is on my lap with total access to my breasts. At these times I can hand express only a drop or two instead of a full stream of milk
    Just in general, what are your breastfeeding goals? I am aware many mother 'hang up the horns' at a year, and either stop providing milk to their babies at daycare or use up previously frozen milk for that purpose.

But the principles of milk production are basically the same after 12 months as before. Long periods of not nursing WILL decrease milk production. This is how weaning works, but if the long periods of not nursing are 'involuntary' due to separations, weaning is likely to happen earlier than otherwise.

Daily feeling very full at work IS telling you body to stop making so much milk. And this CAN affect the nursing relationship, even if baby nurses lots when home, even at this age. Every mother is different and some mothers do need to continue to pump at work after a year in order to keep milk production where they and baby want it. The difference is 1) keeping a ‘full’ production is less vital than before a year, as presumably baby is well on the way to weaning to solids, and 2) even a mom who finds she needs to pump at work for her older baby, will not need to pump nearly as often as a mom with a younger baby.

A few years ago I left my then 22 month old for 5 nights and 6 days. I did not pump while away. I hand expressed only when it felt painful. Ds2 picked right back up where he left off and continued to nurse for over a year after that.

Every body is so different.

Before I left ds2 was nursing every 2 hours around the clock. He resumed this schedule when I returned (yet slept through the night just fine for dh while I was away )

For a 24 hour period, *I* think you will be fine. However, if you own a pump and will have time to pump while away, why not, right? Even if you pump and dump you will be stimulating production.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not likely that you'll wean in 24 hours (even when trying to wean it typically takes much longer) but if you are worried you could try to fit in a pumping session or two - or even hand express into a bathroom sink if you don't want the hassle of transporting/storing milk
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    I just found out I need to go on an overnight business trip in January. My baby will be 19 mos old. I have no desire to wean her. Assuming she is still nursing then, and I imagine she will be, should I bring a pump on my trip? She is in daycare all day and I don't pump at work anymore and by the end of the work day my breasts are ready to nurse! I don't think I would make it 24 hours. I am also concerned about my supply taking a hit. Lately she doesn't seem to get a lot of milk at times... There is LOTS of switching sides, acting frustrated, asking to nurse in a whiney desperate voice even after she has been nursing for a while and she is on my lap with total access to my breasts. At these times I can hand express only a drop or two instead of a full stream of milk. So I am a little concerned about that and trying to just let her nurse as much as she wants when we are together but I worry that 24 hours apart will compound the issue. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    My daughter is 14.5 mos, still nursing and I was just out of town last weekend. I nursed before I left her and I pumped 2 to 3 times a day. I made it overnight until 4A and then got up to pump. At one point in an airport I had no good option to pump so I hand expressed in a toilet stall (oh joy!) When I got back from my trip she nursed like a champ.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12