Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first business trip

Default My first business trip

I'm going away for 4 days in September - DD3 will be 19 months. She nurses at bedtime, 2 - 3 times a night and again in the morning. Sometimes we nurse for nap if I'm home. We're not ready to wean.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to pump. I don't know how often. My body hasn't responded to the pump with DD3 so I haven't bothered to even try for months.... The last time I did I didn't even get an ounce. DD3's health and weight-gain say my production is fine.

I'll be staying in the home of a coworker, along with my boss. Neither of which have children. How do you approach discussing pumping with people who haven't been introduced to such things?

You'd think with this being my 3rd BF baby - with about 4 years of nursing under my belt that I'd be a little more confident about all of this. However I've never left my girls. Never even an over night. So this is virgin territory for me.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: My first business trip

i would definitely bring the pump, but i found at around that age i actually didn't need it for a similar length trip.

what are the sleeping arrangements? will you have a private bedroom? in that case likely no need to bring it up at all.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Unless you're sharing a very limited space, I see no reason to bring it up. Even if you end up pumping in the bathroom and tying it up for 20 minutes... No-one is likely to breathe a word.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I honestly don't know that the accommodations are. We'll be guests in my coworkers home. Since my boss is coming too, I don't know if she has 2 guest rooms or if I'll be on a pull out in the middle of the living room! LOL
    There's a part of me that is really excited to go. There's a part of me that doesn't want to leave my babies!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Basically I think I would say "excuse me, I am going to pump, I am still lactating and if I don't pump once in a while it can hurt." Then if they have any questions beyond that they can ask. If I were the host, I would ask "do you need anything." And you can answer "yes, about 30 minutes (or whatever you need) in a room with an outlet and privacy, or whatever it is you need. If anything.

I did not want to bother transporting my milk when I pumped during a trip when my nurseling was two, so I pumped into a breastmilk bag, closed it up, and tossed it in the garbage. (I totally forget why I could not just put the milk down the sink.) I think I pumped twice a day-once in the morning and once near bedtime.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 19th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Whenever I've had to discuss pumping requirements with strangers or aquaintances, I just address it directly, and without making a big deal about it. This has happened during long meetings, retreats, and trainings -- it usually sounds like, "I just wanted to let you know that because I'm breastfeeding, I will need to take a break of about 20 minutes to pump. I am letting you know now because I don't want to interrupt or appear rude later when I have to step out. Can you suggest a space I can use, and would X-o-clock be a good break in your agenda?" I've always had a good response. You can probably be less formal about it because you'll be in someone's home. But I just state it as an expectation (rather than a request) and folks are accommodating.

My LO is 17 months and I was just away for four days. I ended up pumping in the morning and the evening. I didn't push it to see how long I could go without pumping since I'm prone to plugged ducts, but that schedule ended up keeping me comfortable.

I couldn't end up fitting the pump, so went without it. It went just fine! The second night I felt a little full but a hot shower took care of it.

I got home late on the Sunday night. I decided to crawl into bed with DD3 to nurse. She gave a little whimper when I first got in, sleepily realized it was me and latched right on like a champ. We haven't missed a beat since.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease ladies. You rock!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

Glad to hear everything went well for you both!

That's great, amysmom! I love that moment when they realize mom is back.