Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freshly expressed breastmilk added to refrigerated milk

Default Freshly expressed breastmilk added to refrigerated milk

I was just told that I should not be adding my freshly pumped breastmilk to refrigerated milk due to bacteria. Is this true? And if so, what should I do with the milk I have already frozen in this matter

Default Re: Freshly expressed breastmilk added to refrigerated milk

What bacteria? I think it's all considered freshly pumped if it's refrigerated, I mean, it's either fresh or frozen. I think it's just fine.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Do you mean adding warmed straight from the boob milk to cold refrigerated milk? I think you are supposed to add cold milk to cold milk. Just let the fresh warm milk get cold in the refrigerator first. Then mix them That's probably what they meant.
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

I have seen the recommendation that milk should be cooled before being mixed, as newmomma22813 suggests. However, I have definitely added fresh milk to cool milk before, so personally I would not throw away the milk if you have done this. Baby won't drink bad milk.

I've seen that recommendation as well, but I always added milk I pumped to what was already in the fridge and never had any problems with it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I have seen the recommendation that milk should be cooled before being mixed, as newmomma22813 suggests. However, I have definitely added fresh milk to cool milk before, so personally I would not throw away the milk if you have done this. Baby won't drink bad milk.
    I do this all the time. I have a difficult time pumping, so I pump directly into bottles that have milk chilled from earlier work sessions. I would literally have to go insane chilling and mixing single ounces here and there otherwise. I've never had any problems!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!