Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezing milk after a few days - is it safe?

Default Freezing milk after a few days - is it safe?

Hi Mamas,

im a working pumping mom and I pump slightly more than what baby needs during the week.

What I do is I keep all the extra milk in the fridge for hte week in case I need it and freeze everything that remains on Friday. Is that ok to do? Or do i have to freeze on same day?

Thanks!

Default Re: Freezing milk after a few days - is it safe?

I was just looking around on kelly mom to see if there is an "official" guideline about this, but couldn't find one. In any case, I personally have definitely done what you describe - freeze the milk after a few days in the fridge - without any problems. I guess one thing to be on the lookout for is whether you have any issues with excess lipase. Have you thawed any of your previously frozen milk at any point? If not, you may want to thaw a previously frozen milk and check for any soapy smell or taste, and most importantly, whether baby will drink it.

The guidelines from my hospital on milk was that it was good in the fridge for up to 8 days. So sometimes I have milk in the fridge for a few days and then I freeze. Seems perfectly fine and my babies haven't had any issues.

I used to do that exact same routine, never had any problems with it.

Agree with bfwmomof3 though re checking for lipase. I think I had a very slight excess lipase. My thawed milk had a slightly funny smell/taste, and I also found that when my fresh milk sat in the fridge for a few days, it also developed that smell/taste. However it never bothered my son -- whether it was a few days old from the fridge, or previously frozen, he ate it -- so I never worried about it. You will want to check and make sure baby accepts it.

I used to freeze milk that was a few days old and never had a problem. But the other thing that I did was for instance on Wed, I would use any extra Mon milk before using Tues milk. Then on Thurs, use any extra Tues milk then Wed milk, etc. this way on Fri night, the extra would only be from Thurs or Fri. I had to put date stickers on the bottles for day care, so I would make a little extra hash mark for myself to know if the bottle had older milk in it. That way I could load it in the front of the refrigerator when I dropped DS at day care and it would get used first. I also used a different hash mark when I sent previously frozen breastmilk to remind myself to toss it at the end of the day if it didn't get used. My own secret code.

I always did that and so far had no problems with it. It was mostly cause I would forget about it and remember it the next day. Couldn't see it in the fridge either cause I place it so far behind..
    My baby was okay so far but we only use it if spends a couple of hours with his grandma.

Thanks ladies!