Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Playing around or a problem?

Default Playing around or a problem?

I have been exclusively breast feeding and doing so on demand for 7.5 weeks now for my son. This Monday was my first day back at work and he is in the daycare down stairs. I have been pumping at work at in the morning at home to supply him with his bottles throughout the day. At day care he eats 3.5 to 4 ounces every two hours or a little more if he is sleeping as i ask that they do not wake him.

Since Monday after we got home he has been fighting at my breast when i feed. He will be good for about 5 minutes and then he acts like he has lost the nipple. He will root around and grunt and push at my breast. I re latch him back on and then he go back off moments later. He then cries after like he is still hungry. However at night time, when he is sleepy and swaddled he feeds perfect. I do have an OALD but sometimes this doesn’t seem to bother him. I do notice he gets gassy when I breast feed him as opposed to feed him BM from bottle.

If he playing around or could there be a problem and that is why he is acting this way?

Default Re: Playing around or a problem?

this behavior may indicate a problem, possibly, or it may just be a typical adjustment –sometimes,-just when you get breastfeeding figured out, babies like to change things up!

However, I would suggest that your day care provider may be (slightly) overfeeding with the bottles which is more likely to cause issues than if they did not. 4 ounces fed every 2 hours would add up to 2 ounces per hour, when the rule of thumb is more like 1-1.5 ounces per hour. (assuming baby continues to nurse on cue when with you including overnight as a two month old certainly should be doing.) "Overfeeding" with breastmilk is not likely to harm BABY, but it can harm the breastfeeding relationship and it can make it hard for mom to keep up with the over demand.

I suggest, if you have not already done so, that you talk to your day care provider about the tips for bottle feeding here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    this behavior may indicate a problem, possibly, or it may just be a typical adjustment –sometimes,-just when you get breastfeeding figured out, babies like to change things up!

However, I would suggest that your day care provider may be (slightly) overfeeding with the bottles which is more likely to cause issues than if they did not. 4 ounces fed every 2 hours would add up to 2 ounces per hour, when the rule of thumb is more like 1-1.5 ounces per hour. (assuming baby continues to nurse on cue when with you including overnight as a two month old certainly should be doing.) "Overfeeding" with breastmilk is not likely to harm BABY, but it can harm the breastfeeding relationship and it can make it hard for mom to keep up with the over demand.

I suggest, if you have not already done so, that you talk to your day care provider about the tips for bottle feeding here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thank you for your response! Im leaning toward thinking it is just him adjusting ot now liking to wiggle around. I looked at the tips for bottle feeding and they do those at this time and there is nothing to suggest about a suggest volume in there. He is awake most of the day at day care and doesnt spit up alot. When he feeds at home from my breast he eats about 2.5 an hour so 4 ever 2 hours should be good.

It's not the every two hours I am thinking about-that is fine if that is how often baby cues. -its the 4 ounces. If they are holding baby upright, wiht the bottle held horizontally (and slowly tipping up as needed) to allow just a bit of milk into the tip of the nipple, removing the bottle/tipping it down after every few sucks, (so they are allowing/encouraging baby to control the flow and take natural pauses) and baby is STILL taking 4 ounces, then I guess that is just your baby.

The doc I posted also talks about not feeding baby too close in time to when mom picks baby up, etc. There is a lot more to this than how much is in each bottle. That is going to depend to some degree on the age of the baby, personality of the baby, and mother's preference, which is why it is not specified in the document. But the general recommendation is to have small amounts in each bottle to prevent waste. If I was leaving bottles for a 2 month old baby, I would leave two ounce bottles, with some one ounce for top offs as needed.

If baby is getting overly full at day care, and/or the milk is coming too "quickly" or easily with the bottle, that is where the risk of breast refusal- also called "bottle preference' or "nipple confusion" lies.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 26th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Im not worried about his milk volume and i am positive it is not nipple confusion as it does not happen all the time and it happens towards the end of feeding. What im hopeing to see if anyone else has has this problem. Could it be gas? Could my breast me empty? Could this be his was of saying he is done but just wants to comfort nurse?

My daycare has this document posted in the room and i have observed feedings and i do not think its anything they are doing. I think he is just a healthy eater. He is about 13 pounds right now and is already out growing (length wise) his 3 month onsies. He will be 8 weeks tomorrow.

Allright i read someone else's post and i think it sounds like how he just feeds. He takes a break and then latches back on. Probably due to my OALD. Thank you for your help!