Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after 10 months

Default Relactation after 10 months

Hi,
    This is my first delivery and had c section done. I had a very low milk supply, due to which my son got admitted in NICU. I got only few drops when the staffs demanded breast milk for my baby to be fed in NICU. As I got an inconsiderable amount, they substituted him with the formula. Though I was upset for my inability to feed him, in a way I felt happy and relaxed that he got some food. After discharged from the hospital, he still kept suckling my breasts; however will end up screaming as there was very low supply. We really could not control him. The time he spent on my breast slowly decreased and finally I felt only as a pacifier for him. He used to nibble on my breast and scream for milk irrespective of how many hours he had suckled. That’s how I slowly lost hope and gave up breastfeeding.

Later i was very upset for my inability and started pumping out milk for him. I was on domperidone and fenugreek capsules. Apart from that i tried barley water, oats, garlic pearls and galactagogue drinks. In spite of all these, i could hardly reach 6.5 oz a day. I tried my best and continued pumping until he was 8 months old. Then i reluctantly weaned pumping as he was more on solids.

My baby is now 13 months old. In the recent days he is not doing well. Was admitted in hospital for diarrhea. Lost so much of weight and looks always sick and tired. I feel so guilty whenever i look at him. I want to continue giving my milk even if it is a negligible quantity. Everybody around me is discouraging me that even if i try i wont get a good amount and that can never match his demand. Also they say that he is already into solids and more than a year old and doesnt require my negligible quantity of milk anymore. I feel so hurt to hear these statements. I really want to feed my son. It is all about confidence and hardwork. Apart from that a good supply also matters. I started taking domperidone. I dont know if i can latch him back but i can atleast pump and feed him. I have been pumping for 4 days and get only few drops. I'm so hurt. I feel this to be the biggest failure in my life. I tried all the possible ways that i had and ready to try even now. But i dont get a good supply. There is no light for me. Please help. Is it really worth trying now? Even if it is few spoons,will it help my baby at 13 months of age? What can i do to improve my supply? My baby now understands almost everything. I made him to lick few drops from my breasts. He was so happy and was demanding to get more. But i did not get beyond that. Also i was scared to put him to my breats as he bites me badly. I feel so bad. As of now, i'm only planning to pump, pls guide me. Thanks.

Default Re: Relactation after 10 months

Welcome to the forum!

Relactation is absolutely possible. Even a small amount of breastmilk carries health benefits to the child, and producing milk is good for you. Please don't let the naysayers discourage you- what you do with your breasts is YOUR choice, not theirs.

Since you haven't been nursing or pumping for several months, it's probably going to take a while before pumping produces more than a very small amount of milk. But small isn't nothing! Don't get hung up on quantity- breastmilk is good for your baby even in small amounts, and even when it's just a small part of his diet.

In order to relactate, you want to use the best pump possible. What are you using right now, and how old is the pump? Did you buy it new or is it used? If you have anything less than a good double electric pump, you either want to upgrade or consider renting a hospital-grade pump. You also want to make sure that you have correctly sized shields.

Milk supply is created by demand. In order to create more milk, you want to use the pump as if it were a nursing newborn, which means pumping around 8-12 times a day, for around 20 minutes at a time. Don't worry if some days you only manage to get a few sessions in. Some is always better than none, and perfection is something few moms- especially ones with active toddlers- can achieve on a daily basis.

Finally, please do not feel like your nursing journey was a failure. You had a very difficult start and you did your best- that's all any of us can do!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@Mommal: Thanks for your reply. I feel so comfortable. I use Medela double electric pump in style advanced model. It is the new one and i purchased it 6 months back. I dont have any problem with the suction in the pump. But i have a doubt with the size. While pumping, is it like the whole areola should get into the connector(during suction) or is it just the nipple and little part of areola(the remaining areola in the shield)??? Thanks.

If the entire areola is being drawn into the tube, I think there's a possibility that the shields are a bit large. I would try a size down and see if you get improved suction/performance. But if the smaller shields cause you any pain, don't be afraid to return to the larger size.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Okay. I will try. Thanks much!

avarmk, mommal has given you wonderful suggestions. Pump "fit" is really vital, and a too large pump flange in particular is very problematic. You also may want to try adding hand expression to pump sessions.

have you read the book Making More Milk? I would suggest that. Especially because milk production seems to have been an issue from the getgo, you might want to explore why that may have been-hormonal issues, etc.

My baby is now 13 months old. In the recent days he is not doing well. Was admitted in hospital for diarrhea. Lost so much of weight and looks always sick and tired. I feel so guilty whenever i look at him. I want to continue giving my milk even if it is a negligible quantity. Everybody around me is discouraging me that even if i try i wont get a good amount and that can never match his demand. Also they say that he is already into solids and more than a year old and doesnt require my negligible quantity of milk anymore. I feel so hurt to hear these statements. I really want to feed my son. It is all about confidence and hardwork.
    I am sorry you are not getting support in your desire to provide your milk for your child. We live in a culture that is woefully ignorant of the properties of breastmilk and breastfeeding in general-and this is the result. Lack of support for a mom like you who wants to do something difficult yes, but, imo, without a doubt worthwhile.