So I am wanting to at least partially relactate but I am trying to decide if it is worthwhile or possible in my situation. My son is 12 weeks old and I never really made much attempt to breastfeed after he was born due to stress, anxiety, marital problems and pressures, etc. I pumped sporadically during the first 2 months or so and I really had wanted to do that more often, but I let life get in my way...I had to find a new job and do a lot of training for it that consumed a lot of time during my maternity leave. Anyway, things have settled down a bit now and I just really would like to give it one more go..but my job is such that it will be very difficult for me to pump while I'm at work...I'm a nurse and I work 3 12 hour shifts a week, and it is usually very busy...I could probably squeeze in one or maybe two sessions if it's a good day but that's it. The other thing is that right now all I have is a the Medela manual single pump I got at the hospital..I've been pumping whenever I can with that and I can get a few drops out; at first I felt very encouraged that at least I hadn't completely dried up but I know it will still take a lot of time and effort to increase it even a little bit. I know it's recommended to rent a hospital grade pump for relactating but I know my husband would not be on board with me spending $50 a month on one of those and not even being able to keep it indefinently. I had a cheap electric Lansinoh pump from my first child but it quit working properly.
In light of all that, I discovered a $47 foot powered pump online that is supposed to work with any tubing set, and I took the plunge and ordered it the other night (I have a Medela pump set from the hospital). I figured at least it would be mine to keep and I could at least pump both sides without killing my arms in the process.
Let me also say that I am not not expecting a full return of milk supply, honestly I would be happy if all he got was an ounce a day, something is better than nothing right? If I set a very small goal I will be less inclined to quit I think.
But I am still questioning if it wise to attempt this, and how feasible it will be, with the time constraints I have, and not having a hospital grade pump...I keep feeling like maybe I should just cancel the order and move on with my life... plus I am notorious for starting projects and not following through with them. But if I don't try now, I know I won't have another opportunity, and I may regret it more if I don't at least try. My mother-in-law is staying with us right now though to help out though, so that would free up some time for me during my days off to pump. Sorry to write a novel, thanks for listening :-)