Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Babies going 5.5 hrs at night

Default Babies going 5.5 hrs at night

Seriously my twins went 5.5 hrs at night without eating (they get bottles of EBM at night from DH and I have an alarm set to pump q3hrs. They did this last night too, 4.5 hrs which means DH fed them around 10 and then 2:30 last night and 3:30 this morning he's gotten up and that's it. It stinks because I am making sure they eat at least 8x/day since we're supplementing with an SNS (EBM/donor milk) and I don't think it's realistic for a breastfed baby to nurse fewer than 8x/day especially with my fairly small storage capacity.

So is there anything wrong with waking babies so they eat twice in a night? They do it on their own often enough but yesterday I was so worn out trying to get them to eat closer together, didn't get to nap because by the time I got them down to nap after nursing both and pumping, one of them was hungry already (from the somewhat smaller, but more realistic sized meal).

I just am already discouraged about the day and it's only 4:15. I've been up since 3:30 and yesterday I was up from 3 a.m. to 10:30 pm , got up at 1230 to pump and now 330 and that's my day starting already.

ETA: they're 2 mos old, 1 mo adjusted. Their wt gain has been very good, 6-7oz+ /week however this week I'm concerned because they're sick with colds and while their intake is about the same they have been spitting up much more and my smaller twin has not gained since Sunday (we rent a baby scale down to 2 g)
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Babies going 5.5 hrs at night

Absolutely no harm in waking the babies a couple of times to nurse, and every reason to think that it's beneficial. Especially since they're so young- with full-term babies, you want to wake them to nurse until at least 6 weeks, and longer if nursing isn't going well or the babies aren't gaining as they should. Your babies are just 4 weeks, in corrected terms.

Please don't get discouraged, mama!!! You have been doing an amazing job and we are all rooting for you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal, we'll start waking them to eat when I pump. No reason not to I just thought it was good for them to request to eat and I've been nervous about scheduling since I want to follow their cues yet with twins and pumping I will just say it is very hard not to do some sort of structure. They're synchronized if nothing else.

On demand feeding means nursing when the babies demand OR when the mama is ready. Just because you're the one making the "request" doesn't mean that you're ignoring or messing up your babies' cues. And nursing more often than the babies demand is the good kind of scheduling, not the kind that messes up breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal. I think with twins it's expected that you'd have to do SOME kind of scheduling, if nothing else just to keep your sanity. s You're doing great, Krystine!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thank you. Of course if they were hungry I'd feed them no matter what. I guess I had it in my head if I initiated that was bad somehow. But it really does help because then I don't have two starving babies at the same time and if I start one when they're just sort of hungry then it's easier to keep the other one happy while I nurse. Ha! Yesterday I was rocking one baby with my foot, nursing with the SNS baby in my lap and brushing my 4 year old's hair at the same time. I will look back on these days some day and smile, I'm sure, if nothing else for the sheer exhaustion and chaos of it all. I do love my sweet kids, though.

Some babies are laid back and/or sleepy, so if mama didn't offer, they wouldn't eat. And they won't eat if they're not hungry. Never harm in offering!

Love the image of you taking care of a different child with each limb! All you need is a dog to tickle with your other foot.

No, we have two cats and one likes watching me pump....yeah things couldn't get much crazier.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    No, we have two cats and one likes watching me pump....
    A pump-loving cat - funny!