Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there anything I can do to increase breast tissue before

Default Is there anything I can do to increase breast tissue before

or during pregnancy?

I'm 99.9% sure I have insufficient tissue, and I read somewhere that goat's rue can help develop tissue, but I was wondering if anyone knows of anything I can do now while ttc and during the pregnancy to help develop it also?

With my daughter I could only pump 7 oz in a 24 hour period, I'm hoping for a better outcome this time.

I also posted this in the health section too, just in case someone there might have answers.

Default Re: Is there anything I can do to increase breast tissue bef

I'm not sure. If you're worried about your supply though, I recommend buying a copy of The mother's guide to Making More Milk by Diana West. She discusses a myriad of reasons for supply issues and different remedies. I found it helpful and informative.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

if a mom has milk production concerns, Making More Milk is a must read.

Also have you consulted with an IBCLC? (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) An IBCLC is clinically trained in this area. Besides how your breasts look and feel, a full history should be taken about your physical development, fertility, hormonal issues, your breastfeeding history, etc. It should be an in-depth appointment.

I would also suggest connecting with local breastfeeding support groups, and keep ‘hanging out’ here as well, and the online forum here too http://www.lowmilksupply.org/

Milk production is a huge and varied subject. There are many, many reasons a mother might not be able to make 'enough' milk, and even more reasons why a mom would not be able to PUMP much milk. In my experience, there is usually more than one factor going on when a mom is struggling with low milk production.

I have known mothers who have been told they had 'insufficient breast tissue' who nursed their babies fine, and of course many mothers with plenty of breast tissue struggle with low milk production. This is not to say insufficinet breast tissue is not real and not a potential barrier to making 'enough 'milk! Of course it is.

Also, even when milk production is insufficient, baby can often be supplemented at the breast.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 26th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

I will also say a big supply factor from my friends' and family's experience is how well the baby nurses. My mom said her supply really varied depending on the baby and how each of us nursed. I have friends who struggled with one baby and then no problems with another one because the baby knew what they were doing and did a good job of removing milk.

I supplement at breast and at first it was a little tricky getting the tube slipped into my babies' mouths (I'm nursing twins) but I really really like not having to give bottles and just having them know that milk comes from mommy. Breastfeeding is more than milk, it's about relationship and even if you're supplementing at breast, that will give you stimulation and Baby will get some additional milk right from you as they nurse with their supplemental system.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.