Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly sore?

Default Suddenly sore?

Hi! I've been happily exclusively breastfeeding for 9.5 months (pumping 3x a day during the week while at work) and have had very few issues to date - thankfully!
    Now, all of a sudden, both of my nipples are very sore when I pump or breastfeed - almost raw-feeling.
    There are no open wounds and other than appearing slightly redder than normal, everything looks the same.

DD has 2 bottom teeth and 4 on the way up top - could that be what is causing this new discomfort? I don't feel like she is biting me at all...

Any suggestions for relief? I've been using nipple cream, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Suddenly sore?

You're not pregnant, right?

If it's not pregnancy that's causing soreness, top contenders to explain what you're experiencing are:
    - latch pain from teething baby changing up her latch to soothe her sore gums
    - premenstrual tenderness (if your period isn't back yet, it could be gearing up for a return)
    - thrush- this would match well with the increased redness and is a common cause of pain that crops up after many trouble-free months. Thrush can also cause a "raw" pain.
    - bacterial infection
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just a couple more thoughts from a fellow pumping mom: How are your pumping flanges fitting currently? Sometimes you need to swap out for a bigger size flange as time passes--I had to increase from a small to a medium a few months ago, and was having similar problems with soreness all the time from a mild pumping injury
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I wrote almost the same post a few months ago. I had ruled out pregnancy, new teeth, thrush and flange fit. One of the lovely ladies here suggested "maybe you are ovulating." Sure enough, a few weeks later, I got my first PP period :/ Oh, I was sad to see the period-free days end ... but relieved that the nipple tenderness was short-term

Could be the teeth, but you'd likely feel some kind of localized rubbing or scraping during nursing if that were the issue. I'm going to guess hormones- pregnancy or ovulation.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Another thought- have you taken a course of antibiotics recently? Could be thrush.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous