Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old nursing 3-4 times at night

Default 10 month old nursing 3-4 times at night

I have a 10 month old and I don't mind nursing him once at night, but he wakes me up 3-4 times at night and wants to be fed. I believe I feed him enough during the day (about 4 times breastfeeding and three times solids during the day). I think it's become a habit and he just wants to fall asleep like that. Last night, when he woke up after I fed him 3 hours ago, I tried to put him back to sleep without feeding him. I held him and tried singing to him, then I put him back in the crib and he cried for awhile, he got even louder and louder and I spent 30 minutes trying to put him to sleep. So I just gave up and nursed him again. I just don't know what to do... I don't want him to continue with this habit... he'll be a year old in two months and he's still eating like 3 times at night. By the way, he doesn't take a pacifier so he can't fall asleep with that. Any help?

Default Re: 10 month old nursing 3-4 times at night

Hey there!

I also have ten month old who nurses at least that often overnight--if I had to guess, I would say more like 5-8 times, honestly! So it's not unusual or abnormal that this is occurring. And in my case, I am a working mom, so I consider it a big help for keeping my supply up. I don't think this is a bad "habit" or anything like that. Some babies just need more nighttime nursing and parenting than others, and it's not anyone's fault. Just the baby's temperament. So, it helps to maximize your ability to get sleep in these cases, I think. Where is baby sleeping? Can you bring him in the bedroom with you, cosleep, anything like that? I personally go to bed with my baby at 8 pm every night. We also bedshare, so that neither one of us has to wake all the way up to nurse. It is definitely less disruptive to my sleep to do these things--when I nurse baby overnight, she doesn't even wake up! If I tried to withhold nursing, she would DEFINITELY wake up. You can always try to night wean, but night weaning won't necessarily end night waking, and I personally find nursing the easiest sleep solution for us.

However, I do think your daytime nursing frequency is a little on the low side. I still always nurse before solids (or expressed milk in bottle while I am working), and it's possible that offering to nurse more during the daytime hours will net you more sleep at night. Good luck, and hang in there, you're not alone in this!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

with the PP. The night-nursing you're seeing is normal, particularly in light of the relatively infrequent daytime nursing- though there are babies who nurse 8-10 times during the day and still wake up a lot at night. I should know, since I've had two of them!

Is the infrequent daytime nursing something baby is doing on his own, or is it something you've encouraged?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PP. The night-nursing you're seeing is normal, particularly in light of the relatively infrequent daytime nursing- though there are babies who nurse 8-10 times during the day and still wake up a lot at night. I should know, since I've had two of them!

Is the infrequent daytime nursing something baby is doing on his own, or is it something you've encouraged?
    Totally normal! Mine is 9 months old, nurses at least 2x per night, usually 3-4 times. If she's teething, has a cold, has gas, etc. it is way more often. We bedshare so it works out fine.

It's biologically normal for baby to want to sleep that way, even as babies get older. It's the only thing that works for us. If you personally don't like doing it and want to change it, you'd probably have to find something else that is as soothing to baby as nursing to sleep. (rocking, movement, etc)

So if you want to night wean for you, totally your choice. But if you're worried about "habits" like nursing to sleep, it won't harm your baby. It's only going to be a problem if it's ruining your sleep. At that point you have the option of bedsharing t make it easier or doing some kind of sleep training. For me, I've just decided to bedshare until she grows out of it.
    and Mama to two little girls

14 mos old, 10X a night. And sometimes pretty much latched all night long.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12