Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Her first stuffy nose

Default Her first stuffy nose

*Flailing muppet arms* Charlie Brown-style "Uuuugh!"

She has her daddy's fall allergies, I guess. Just when nursing is getting better, too.

I've been doing the steamy shower bathroom sit, and she's taking naps in the sling, so she can stay upright. So far, she is still nursing as well as she has been.

Any more suggestions?
    a fussy nurser, my leprechaun Camille 3/17/13, when she refuses. Negotiating with DH to be a SAHM. Used NFP to postpone for 5 years and to conceive for 2 weeks.

Default Re: Her first stuffy nose

Saline drops or spray to thin the mucous a bit, and then suck it out with a Nosefrida. We've made it to 9 months without any serious illness or fever, but too many minor colds to even count.

Nosefrida for SURE! That thing is awesome.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Hi! My son currently has the same issue, along with a minor cough. He has never had any severe illness knock on wood, just some minor colds. I too love the nosefrida but my son won't let me get an inch near his nose half the time so he rips it out of my hands since it has tubing. I use a bulb suction, after spraying some saline, and hold his hands down and face still as quick as possible and suck suck suck. Works like a charm. I also put Eucalyptus oil drops into the humidifier, it has helped a lot. Then, the steamy bathroom which you are already doing. Also, nice lukewarm baths help with congestion and fevers. Good luck!
    After six years of infertility and 2 miscarriages later , I am proud to say I am the happiest woman alive thanks to my son Giuseppe
    Nicole Marie

We always had better luck with the saline spray than the drops. Easier to give to a squirmy baby who isn't so inclined to hold perfectly still at the exact right tilted back angle ;-) When my son is really congested, I squirt a spray in each nostril, wait about 10 seconds (keeping him lying down or reclined back as much as I can, so the saline doesn't just run right out), then give a second squirt on each side, wait a few more seconds, then sit up and nurse. If he still can't breathe enough to nurse, we go another round, but usually don't have to. I don't usually bother with the bulb syringe ... I never found it to be that effective, and I think it can irritate their nasal passages even more. So I would just rely on the saline and then gently wipe away (with boogie wipes or a soft cloth) the runny noses.

I am one of the rare moms who had zero success with the nosefrieda. It accomplished nothing for us except give my son another thing to scream about when he's sick :-/ Which would be worth the trade off if it actually sucked the snot out, but it didn't for us. So I remain underwhelmed by that particular baby product. But, everyone else seems to love it, so I guess if you don't mind a $15 experiment with a plastic tube, approach it as "can't hurt, maybe helps."

Breast milk is supposed to work similarly to saline. I never tried it because I couldn't squirt on demand, but I've heard it works great and you can kind of squirt it in when you lean baby back to nurse.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks so much! So far, the steamy shower in the mornings is keeping things running, so to speak. If it gets worse, I will try out your suggestions!

Update: showers stopped being enough, so we used saline drops and the brain sucker thingie we came home from the hospital with. Even those only worked so well, so I did the colic hold long enough to let gravity pull all the mucous to one side, and we nurse side-lying with that side down, so she at least has one clear nostril.

Apparently it's a cold because now we all have it. Welcome to parenthood, I guess!

We have a Hydrasense Nasal Aspirator: http://hydrasense.ca/en/products/details/2
    It sounds gross, but you suck on the other end to create the suction. There are filters in between, so it won't get to you. You get to control the suction, you can hold the suction for much longer than most other systems. Some saline up there to loosen it up and suck that stuff right out!

Another thing that helps is increasing the humidity in your house. So put on a cold mist humidifier in her room if you can. Dry air = produce mucous. Moist air = less mucous.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I wish we could use a humidifier. She sleeps in our room and we have to have a lot of equipment at hand for DH's work that cannot get wet.

I will try those aspirators next time. She seems to be getting better. What worked best was putting her in the wrap so she could suckle a little in a completely upright position. After a few minutes nursing, she really cleared up. I guess the mechanics of nursing help their noses drain.

I seriously considered giving her a jalepeño.