Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Havn't slept in 18th Months, time to wean?

Default Re: Havn't slept in 18th Months, time to wean?

wait, tanpixie = tanpix??
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Four things:

1) Mine also cries "teta please" to wake me up, and I have to roll her over (she sometimes sits up too, but not usually)...I think you could do it without really waking up.

2) I think you should work on the nursing position to get rid of the teeth problem. Is there a teeth problem all the time, or only while side-lying? Since my breasts got smaller and DD got bigger, I've been feeding off the top breast a lot in bed (I have really small breasts) and that position is more comfortable for me. A rolled up towel or pillow behind me also helps so I don't have to be straining any muscles to keep in the right position. I might not be fully sleeping while she nurses but I am definitely not fully awake either. I keep my eyes closed and I think about my dreams that I was having before she woke me, and I drift in and out of sleep I guess.

3) Maybe you should consider her dad's request to take her overnight (but without night weaning her). Best case scenario, she stays with her dad once or twice a week and sleeps great and you get your *one night* of sleep. Worst case scenario she cries for you during the night at her dad's house and her dad doesn't get any sleep so he decides she's not ready to spend the night at his place yet. Fine, that's what you're already saying. I would be thrilled for my DH to take my daughter for a whole night, but he is unwilling.

4) I am not against night-weaning, I just found it to be too hard for me to do with my daughter, and trying it made me way more exhausted (nursing didn't wake me up much, except when I was sick or sleeping in a tent, but the screaming sure did).

I didn't nurse my oldest, as he was born with a complete unilateral cleft lip and palate, but I did pump for him. He was and still is a TERRIBLE sleeper. No nursing at all, terrible sleeper. Now I have 2 good sleepers and they were/are nursed.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpix View Post
    Oh I also go to sleep when she does - around 7.30pm - i've been doing that since she was born!
    You've received a lot of good advice here, so I just wanted to add more support.

My daughter is 14 months, We've been breastfeeding and co-sleeping since birth.
    Every since she's had an established bedtime, I've been going to bed with her, usually 8:30PM though it has ranged from 7:30 to 8:30.
    That means I've given up a lot in life, and I'm ok with that.
    She does not nap in the crib - we have tried. She naps on us. (Or her caretaker during the day when I'm at work). Once again, lots of sacrifice, but I know my kiddo feels safe and love and she does take GREAT naps on a warm body.
    She has never been a 'good' sleeper. Nurses throughout the night. Moves a lot. She does these crazy sit up, 180 degree turn moves that land her in a completely different place in the bed. Sometimes I can doze through the wake ups and adjustments. Sometimes I'm like you - her movement or latch or both or WHATEVER just keeps me up. When she rolls back and forth across my chest like a rolling pin on dough, it hurts. The patches of awake time suck, but I know it's a for now thing, not a forever thing.

I try to imagine the alternative - weaning/not breastfeeding - and I just can't imagine it would be better. It's how I get her down for naps or for bed at night. It's how I soothe her when she's teething. It's how I ensure GOOD things are going into her body, even though her solids are of the whole foods variety. I predict I will be breastfeeding still at 18 months and 2 years unless she self-weans. NEVER in a million years did I think I'd be a long-term BF mama. I was pretty naive about all this stuff, but somehow when she was born I just knew what to do.

I'm sorry you are going through this alone. I think about that sometimes - could I do this alone? I suppose if I had to I could. But I know it would be hard.
    Hugs to you.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post

I try to imagine the alternative - weaning/not breastfeeding - and I just can't imagine it would be better. It's how I get her down for naps or for bed at night.

I'm sorry you are going through this alone. I think about that sometimes - could I do this alone? I suppose if I had to I could. But I know it would be hard.
    Hugs to you.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Audrey yes it's me!!!! x