Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I feed the baby now?

Default How do I feed the baby now?

I had to stop bf 3 days ago (see my "I'm radioactive" thread if you want the details), but I can start again tomorrow morning. DD got about 28 oz of formula a day during the break. When I start nursing again, how do I know how much to give her? I was pumping so I know there is still some milk there.

Default Re: How do I feed the baby now?

How old is the baby?
    I would just try and nurse on demand and then see how many wets and how the baby does.
    If she seams content then everything should be ok. Baby might want to nurse alot just to make up for being away from you.
    Depending on babies age you could take her to bed and just rest.

She's 8 weeks. She was taking about 10 oz of formula and 4 oz of EBM before this weekend trying to get her to gain weight, so I don't plan to cut her off the formula cold turkey. But, I don't know if I should just go back to that or if I should do a slower weaning schedule.

A leader could help you more to get rid of the formula if that's what you want to do. Try and call your local leader.
    is she willing to breastfeed at your breast any?

Zoewmu, I remember your situation -- supplementing with formula and as much EBM as you could produce to reverse your baby's weight loss while building up your milk supply. I was sorry to read of the "radioactive" setback -- that was unfortunate, but probably best viewed as just one more bump in the road that is now behind you.

Roughly how many ounces per day have you pumped while unable to nurse? I guess the best way to start would be to subtract your recent pumped volume (over 24 hours) from the 28 oz of formula, and divide that by 8 feedings or so to know how many ounces to offer per bottle.

But, as a pp said, by all means nurse as often as possible, and keep pumping every time you supplement to continue building your milk supply. You know that you were on the right track before the bone scan/radiation issue, so I'm sure that this will again be a winning strategy now that you can breastfeed again. Keep us posted -- we're all rooting for you.

I'm not a leader, but the way my LC had us wean off formula was to reduce by an oz/ day at a time, every 2 or 3 days. If baby still had good diapers, seemed happy, etc we subtracted another oz 2 days later. Gradually I was nursing more and pumping less. And now, no bottles unless I'm at work!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Yesterday she only took 24 oz of formula and still had soaking wet diapers.

This morning, DD took back to bf without missing a beat, which was really great. I was afraid that she would reject the breast after all those bottles. I was able to pump about 10 oz of breast milk yesterday, so when you consider that, before the break, I was giving 10 oz of formula and 4 oz of ebm or 14 oz in a bottle, and now I'm looking at giving 14-18 oz in a bottle it's not looking so discouraging. And, since she usually eats 7 times a day, that's about 2 oz a feeding, maybe 3. So, what I did this morning was nursed her on both sides, then gave her the bottle, then gave her the first side back. After a while, I'd unlatch her and see if she wanted more. If she didn't make any movements, I'd stop, otherwise I'd let her latch back on.

At first it looked totally overwhelming. Now it feels more doable. I have to go back to work the first part of January (barring any bad outcome from the test I had), so I really want to get this under control before then.

You sound so upbeat! thats awesome that you are getting a handle on the situation. I bet you are going to do great. and what a blessing that your baby is willing to go back to the breast