Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We might be done...

Default We might be done...

Let me first say, I have been pumping mostly ever since I went back to work almost 3 months ago, however, I always nursed a bit on the weekends to keep the bond and also to help with supply. Today, I tried to nurse one of my girls (one twin just never took to it) and she refused. And cried. Hard. And then she just got a bottle of pumped milk because she wouldn't even try to latch. It was like she had forgotten how to eat at the breast. And even though I was only planning on breast feeding for 6 months in some capacity and I'm only two weeks short of that, I'm a little sad. Especially because today is my birthday. And my little one crying and crying just broke my heart. So, I may be done. And I'm a little bit sad. Sadder than I thought I would be. Just wanted to share/vent.

Default Re: We might be done...

That doesn't sound like weaning but some sort of nursing strike. Is she ill or anything? Sometimes ear infections do that to a baby. My daughter had a 5 month long nursing strike and I could still nurse her while asleep and when she got past her strike she wanted to nurse until after 3 yrs. You don't have to be done. Just keep offering, especially while asleep.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Agree with pp. Doesn't sound like weaning and you don't have to be done if you don't want to be. I'd bet your DD doesn't actually want to be done either. One idea I've read is a nurse-in. On the weekend, don't schedule anything else and just cuddle with your girls and keep offering the one who bfs to nurse. No bottles, no shortcuts. Think of the bottle as fast food when you're trying to encourage her to eat healthy.

Hi, thanks for the responses. She's not ill. At all. And I tried again on Sunday and she cried and turned away. I'm going to keep pumping for a year anyway, so I'm not really done, per se, just probably done with actively breast feeding. Again, I was only planning on going 6 months and pretty much made it anyway, so I'm not devastated, but I didn't want it to end with her crying and pushing away.

Hi twinsincity,

I agree, it does sound more like a strike than anything else. If you are interested in trying to get baby back to the breast, here are some tips for strategies to try:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/