Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vit D supplements?

Default Re: Vit D supplements?

Ok! just saw that this very llli website has lots of info too: http://www.llli.org/nb/nbvitamins.html

sorry so short - tandem nursing 2yo while ladybug and monkey take turn on other side.

From what I understand, there are 3 risk factors to look at when assessing if you LO needs vit D supplement.

-Is Mom vitamin D deficient (or have a history of vit D deficiency)?
    -Are Mom and Baby dark skinned?
    -Do Mom and Baby live in northern climate or is Baby's sun exposure limited

The fact that one of these risk factors is completely based on the vitamin D level of the mom tells me that vitamin D is transferred into her milk. This is, however, only one of 3 things to consider. For us we met 2 out of the 3 risk factors, so I decided to supplement. OP, it doesn't sound like you meet any of these risk factors.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I guess what I don't understand is why the recommendation now is to supplement when in the past there was no such thing. I have no idea how long vitamins have been around but back before even formula was produced, supplmenting vit d wasn't even an option. That's why I'm so leary to give it. I'm on the fence... prob will do some more research. I did not give it to my 1st son due to it causing him tummy troubles.
    Proud mama to 2 boys

DS # 1- 4 years old, EBF for 6 months

Currently EBFing DS #2 age 4 months

BF goal: 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If vitamin D isn't soluble, then my head just exploded. Because somehow it's soluble in com's milk that you buy at the store, but not in human milk... Yup, I think my brain just broke.
    I concur but there's a difference when cow's milk is fortified with more Vitamin D than is naturally found versus what is in breastmilk (since I am assuming no one here is fortifying their breastmilk with Vitamin D).

Who is at Risk — These populations may require extra vitamin D in the form of supplements or fortified foods:

Exclusively breast-fed infants: Human milk only provides 25 IU of vitamin D per liter. All breast-fed and partially breast-fed infants should be given a vitamin D supplement of 400 IU/day

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

I really think it just depends on what climate you're in. If you live in the northern hemisphere where it gets dark soon, and stays dark for a while during winter than Vitamin D supplement is probably a good idea, if not then I wouldn't go with the supplement.

Kellymom does a good job at explaining this too.

I know I'll be supplementing Vitamin D here soon because the days are getting shorter and going outside will be next to impossible because of the coming winter months; but I think ultimately the decision is up to you, whether or not your baby will benefit from the supplement.

Also, it seems people are talking about the vitamin drops. I have one here, the Enfamil D-vi-Sol, and here are the ingredients:

Glycerin - Sugar alcohol
    Water - Water
    Polysorbate 80 - Emulsifier
    Citric Acid - citric acid
    Vitamin D3
    Sodium Citrate - Salt / Citric Acid, also an emulsifier
    Sodium Hydroxide -lye
    Artificial flavor and Carmel color

I had my DH taste it and he said it tastes super sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kandemama View Post
    I guess what I don't understand is why the recommendation now is to supplement when in the past there was no such thing. I have no idea how long vitamins have been around but back before even formula was produced, supplmenting vit d wasn't even an option. That's why I'm so leary to give it. I'm on the fence... prob will do some more research. I did not give it to my 1st son due to it causing him tummy troubles.
    People didn't even know what vitamins were until the early 1900's. At that time rickets was pretty common among the poor. It wasn't long after that that scientist started putting vitamin deficiency and disease together. Cod liver oil was a treatment for rickets, but it took a while for scientist to make the connection with vitamin D. This is why almost all dairy is now fortified with vit D, it was a public health initiative. By the time that the vitamin D connection was becoming apparent formula use was on the rise and commercial formulas were fortified.

I guess what I am getting at is that the reason people didn't supplement is because they didn't know, not because it wasn't needed.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I looked into this when my boys' pediatrician recommended D for us. Mostly because I was personally offended- (what do you mean my breast milk is deficient?!) Plus, I wasn't wild about giving something or buying something that I wasn't sure was necessary.

When I looked into it I found that there have been very few cases of Rickets in North America. The cases were generally people with dark complexions, poor nutrition, lived in northern climates, and did not go outside often or if when they did, they covered most of their skin which limited their sun exposure.

I have a light complexion, decent nutrition, live in a northern climate, didn't go out that much over the course of the winter but when I did the skin of my face was exposed for the sun. I didn't feel we were high risk.

I did not get the drops. My boys did not develop Rickets.