Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - weird weight gain/loss?

Default Please help - weird weight gain/loss?

So I gave birth (no meds, no fluids) to my second child three weeks ago. I nursed my first successfully (minus some latching issues in the beginning) for two years and didn't think I would have any issues this time - I was totally wrong!

First - I thought we had a latch issue, but it ended up being thrush. I cried every time she latched on for the first week. My nipples were split open. However, my supply was great and breasts felt (very) full. She gained 6 ounces over her birth weight at our one week checkup.

I then did nipple sheilds for a week because my nipples were bleeding so badly. We did nystatin to treat the thrush. My breasts felt like they weren't full at all anymore. Didn't feel the firmness go out of them after nursing. However, I thought this was engorgement going away and my breasts were accustomed to breastfeeding (my two year old just stopped while I was pregnant) so maybe they didn't get that really full feeling anymore?

We just transitioned last week off the nipple shields and she still has some issues latching (comes off, my nipples collapse on her (they can go inverted really easily) etc. My breasts still aren't feeling so full...

She is now three weeks old and we went in because, of course, she got a respiratory virus (I guess this is what happens when you have a two year old). She doesn't have any signs of dehydration, but her weight is the exact same as her one week check up. So NO weight gain in two weeks.

I can't even get a good pumping session in to check my output. I'm so sick with this virus and she is constantly latched.

Any help, advice, reassurance - whatever really! - would be awesome. I'm starting to flip out at this point...

Default Re: Please help - weird weight gain/loss?

What did the doctor say?

Prior to her illness:

How many times a 24 day was baby pooping and what did they look like

How many times a 24 hour day was baby nursing

You have had a lot going on. Major nipple injury, nipple sheilds, and now both you and your baby are ill.

I also find it unusual that baby gained 6 ounces OVER birth weight by one week. Do you have any idea what the lowest weight was? How many of the weight checks were on different scales? I think scale error somewhere along the line is possible.

You cannot test your milk production with a pump.

So I would sugggest, don't pump, but watch baby's output (pees and poops.) When you are well enough, bring baby in for another weight check on the same scale, and if baby is still not gaining, get in to see an IBCLC (if possible) so breastfeeding can be asssessed to find out why.

What do you think?

I thought it was so strange that she gained so much weight over birth weight too. Especially with thrush and bleeding nipples. We never supplemented. I don't know what her lowest weight was, we gave birth at a birthing center and were sent home 3 or 4 hours after I delivered. I think we weighed her at 48 hours, but I don't remember what that was. I can call the center and ask?

So (update) we went in for a weight check 48 hours after our pediatrician appointment (same scale) and she had gained 5 ounces. That seems like a ton in 48 hours??? Is that normal? I thought on average BF babies gain .5-1 ounce a day? We didn't even get to see the pediatrician because "she was over birth weight". The nurses scoffed at me that I was even concerned - and then asked me to breastfeed her somewhere else! Definitely changing pediatricians.

She is having frequent very small (yellow, seedy) bowel movements. Not bigger than a dime each time. Once or twice a day she has a blowout and poops up to her neck. We nurse 10-12 times a day. She has two longer stretches (around 4 hours) overnight. The rest of the day is spaced around 2 - 2.5 hours. I did pump before I saw this and got 3 ounces (total) out. I didn't realize that wasn't a good indicator of milk production?

My weight is also doing huge fluxuations. I'm drinking liters of water every day, but I can't seem to stay hydrated. I'm also having some postpartum bleeding issues - maybe it's causing something to happen with my milk??

Amanda
    Last edited by @llli*ajpayn07; September 21st, 2013 at 06:37 AM.

So (update) we went in for a weight check 48 hours after our pediatrician appointment (same scale) and she had gained 5 ounces. That seems like a ton in 48 hours??? Is that normal?
    Average weight gain at this age averages out to one ounce per day. However, weight gain is not normally consistent. A baby may gain very little or nothing one day and quite a bit the next. Also, of course, if baby has just made a major blowout poop or even a large pee prior to a check, or does one right AFTER a check, that easily will cause measurable fluctuation.

This is why weight checks should normally be spaced at least a couple weeks or more apart. However, when there is great weight gain concern, as in this case, a closer in check was appropriate which is why I suggested it.

Poops sound normal. The rule of thumb is you want to see 3-5 (or more) poops the ~ size of a US quarter or larger per day. Not every healthy, gaining baby is going to poop in precisely this pattern! Personally I think 2 enormous blowouts per day would seem to meet that criteria.

SO I would suggest, take this 5 ounces gain in 2 days as a positive sign that baby is gaining fine. (Was this with supplements or not?) What did your pediatrician have to say about this gain?

My weight is also doing huge fluxuations. I'm drinking liters of water every day, but I can't seem to stay hydrated. I'm also having some postpartum bleeding issues - maybe it's causing something to happen with my milk??
    I am no doctor of course, but that kind of thirst sounds concerning. Yes, a breastfeeding mother is going to be more thirsty than normal and the recommendation is the drink to thirst (NOT to over-hydrate.) But if you can NEVER feel sated no matter how much water you drink, I strongly suggest you see your doctor.

Post partum lochia can last many weeks. If you think your bleeding is unusual, I also suggest talking to your OB immediately. This can be a sign of retained placenta which also may harm milk production.

I did pump before I saw this and got 3 ounces (total) out. I didn't realize that wasn't a good indicator of milk production?
    If you are able to pump lots of milk (and three ounces is on the high side for a single session) then that is a good indicator of milk production. (But of course tells us nothing about baby's ability to transfer milk) But NOT being able to pump much milk at all is not a good indicator, because there are so many variables-pump type, flange fit, some moms simply do not get milk out well wiht a pump, etc. also a mom would normally have higher milk production at different times of day. and one day to the next-all entirely normal. However, mopms tend to panic if the see this type of fluctuation when pumping and assume it means somthing-when it probably does not. Pumps take milk from the breast completely differently then a baby.

The general recommendation is to avoid pumping in the early weeks UNLESS it is needed because baby cannot nurse frequently enough, or cannot nurse effectively enough, or there is KNOWN low production and pumping 'extra' is one strategy for increasing milk production.

good you are nursing frequently. Mom can never nurse baby too frequently! Also I assume baby is in charge of how long baby nurses.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 21st, 2013 at 10:22 AM.