Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Used to be able to pump 1oz.. low supply

Default Used to be able to pump 1oz.. low supply

Hi all,

My baby is 4 weeks old and I used to be able to pump at least 1 oz the couple of weeks.. I do not breastfeed only because I like to be able to see how much my baby is eating because i'm having to supplement formula after feeding breast milk. Now i can't even pump out an 1 oz, i'm pumping out only about 5 to 10 mL(which is not even half an oz.).. I've tried mother milk tea but that doesn't seem to help.

Does this mean my milk supply is coming to an end? Or is there still hope? Am I still able to try to increase my milk supply?!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: Used to be able to pump 1oz.. low supply

Hi mama, welcome to the forum!

So, to clarify, right now you are only pumping for baby, not putting baby to breast at all? Is this just because of wanting to see how much baby is getting, or were there other issues? Did you ever nurse baby, or did you go straight to pumping? If you did nurse, did baby have any trouble with latch? How did latch feel to you? Can you post a complete weight history?

Currently, how often are you pumping and for how long? What kind of a pump are you using? How much formula are you giving - how often and how much with each feeding? How is baby being fed?

I think you will get more detailed information if we get a better sense of what is going on. But I'll make a few general comments:

First, yes, there is still hope! Breastfeeding is supply and demand. So if you increase the amount you are nursing and/or pumping, your supply will increase. I presume that your pump output is decreasing because you are not pumping often enough or long enough, or because you are not using a good pump, but again if you give us more information, we can help you troubleshoot that.

Second, I would strongly encourage you to nurse baby at the breast rather than pumping, if possible (there are situations when nursing is not possible, but this is rare; more often there are situations that can be corrected that allow for nursing rather than pumping). Nursing is better for stimulating supply than pumping and is a lot easier to maintain in the long run (it's hard to pump in public places, for example, and much more tedious to get up in the middle of the night and pump than to nurse; and you don't have all those bottles and pump parts to wash when you nurse!). In addition, there are benefits to nursing at the breast that are lost when baby is being fed breastmilk through the bottle.

Excellent questions and advice from the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Even if you did absolutely need to know what your baby gets at breast, you could do it by renting a sensitive to 2 gram baby scale. I have had to do that with my babies due to prematurity issues with my twins and a host of issues with my daughter. You don't actually need to pump to know what they get. Actually if you look at this video, you can judge if your baby is nursing well by looking for jaw drop - http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...vid-reallygood

I have to pump and nurse but if your baby is a good nurser you shouldn't need to pump. I'd soooooooooo much rather nurse my babies than pump. I dislike pumping strongly but actually really enjoy sitting and nursing my babies ( I say "actually" because as first my little guy didn't open wide and would cause quite a bit of pain. If they latch well it feels good and works its way up to being a great experience for mommy and babies).
    Last edited by @llli*krystine; September 25th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.