Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using multiple positions

Default Using multiple positions

hi! I am nursing my first child, 7 weeks old, and so far it's going well. I always use the same position (cross cradle on one breast, football on the other) because they seem to work, are comfortable, etc. Someone recently suggested that I should be using a variety of positions on each breast -- that that's better/healthier for the breast. What do you think? Thanks!

Default Re: Using multiple positions

If you're happy and your baby is happy and you're not coming down with plugged ducts, just use the positions that work for you. Different positions will come with time, as your baby grows larger, stronger, and more adept at nursing. By the time you're nursing a toddler- if you choose to go that long- your kid will be latching on upside down and backwards, with no help from you at all!

Basically, right now I wouldn't try to make things too complicated. Just enjoy your baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have no ideas why it would be Better ort healthier to nurse in a variety of positions-unless, as mommal says, the position you are using is somehow contributing to plugged ducts. Why mess with success?

That said, if YOU are at all uncomfortable or feeling constrained by your positions, fine to experiment with others whenever you like. There is no one right way or wrong way to nurse a baby. As long as 1) baby gets enough milk and 2) mom is comfortable, all is 100% ok with breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Different positions will come with time, as your baby grows larger, stronger, and more adept at nursing. By the time you're nursing a toddler- if you choose to go that long- your kid will be latching on upside down and backwards, with no help from you at all!
    Some of them will even start upside down and backwards antics while still an infant. Ask me how I know...

I nursed my then-newborn in the same laid-back cradle position hybrid for the first three months or so, all the time, and never had any troubles.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

I have an 11 week old and we almost always use the same positions. I am trying different positions simply to see if we can find something more comfortable and/or versatile for a variety of locations, but I have never heard that it is necessary for breast health. If you and baby are happy - keep doing what you're doing!

Thank you everyone! I'll stick with what works.