Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about donating pumped milk

Default Question about donating pumped milk

Here's the situation: a good friend of mine is currently expecting her second baby at the end of November. She wasn't able to breastfeed her first -she wasn't producing, tried Domperidone, etc. but ended up formula feeding. I know that she's planning to try to breastfeed for this one, but isn't sure how it'll go. I recently returned to work and am pumping for comfort, but my LO isn't big on taking my milk while I'm gone (she still will drink some of it, but part of it gets left in the cup and wasted ). Anyways, I was going to offer to donate what I'm pumping for my friend's newborn, in case she isn't able to produce milk again. It won't be much, but it'll be something. I just want to verify that since my LO is currently 13 months, my milk is suitable for a healthy term newborn, right? I just remember when I went to try to donate to a milk bank when DD was 6 months that they only wanted to take milk from moms with babies less than 5 months old. So just double checking before I offer this to my friend.

Thanks!

Default Re: Question about donating pumped milk

yeah, it's likely better than formula. but "they" do recommend to donate to a baby close in age to yours, so you might want to just mention that to her and see what she wants. milk banks are a LOT more stringent about all sorts of issues than private donation tends to be.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's fine.

Just a thought- you might want to wait to offer the milk. So many breastfeeding issues are problems of confidence. Sometimes when a mom knows that she has a back-up option- be it formula or donor milk- she's disincentivized from doing the really hard work of breastfeeding. It doesn't matter what is in the bottle. It's just so easy to slide down that slippery slope, from one bottle "just this once" to a lot of bottles to all bottles. There's a good chance your friend won't have any trouble this time around, but I'm willing to bet that her first nursing experience shattered her belief in herself. Prop her up, tell her that she CAN do it- and offer the donor milk if she runs into trouble.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's a good point, mommal. I did wonder if it would even be helpful to offer it, as she'll need to nurse as much as possible to establish a supply, if she can. I think I'll just keep the milk in my chest freezer, and if she does run into issues I'll offer it. The good news is that she sees me as a resource now that I've successfully nursed my baby, so hopefully I'll be able to provide more support for her this time around. Thanks for the advice, mamas

Very generous of you! I agree to wait until she knows if she really needs it. Sometimes a woman will have supply issues with a baby because the baby is a poor nurser and the next baby gets nursing right away and establishes a strong supply. I have friends who have experienced this - I'm still waiting for my hypothetical baby who nurses like a champ from birth!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.