Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 mos, no longer wants mommy milk during the day

Default 14 mos, no longer wants mommy milk during the day

No matter what it is served in, while I'm at work M thru F my expressed milk is now a NO even if offered before anything else. I nurse morning, evening and basically all night long as we co-sleep so she gets PLENTY (plus weekends). She is eating solids really well at the moment. (For ex salmon, grass fed beef, sweet potatoes, apple slices, steamed beets).

The only two things she wants to drink are 1. Smoothies (whole fruits and whole vegetables prepared in a vitamix and I actually gave our nanny the idea to stir expressed breast milk into the smoothie after it has left the Vitamix.) 2. Water with a NUUN electrolyte replacement tablet (ingredients below). This is something my husband drinks regularly and I do occasionally during workouts. I DO have a call into my Pediatrician, just wondered what others think. My kiddo is a WHOLE FOODS baby. Nothing processed, no gluten, grains or sugar so this is out of my comfort zone for her. But I can't control everything and she is a well fed, well nursed kid.

Thanks! P.S. the good news is that I should be able to go to one pump session per day at work, which I've been trying to do for awhile.

NUUN ACTIVE HYDRATION CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING PER TABLET (16 OUNCE DRINK, which of course is way more than what she gets):

Active Ingredients
    Sodium (carbonates) 360 mg
    Potassium (bicarbonate) 100 mg
    Magnesium (sulfate) 25 mg
    Calcium (carbonate) 12.5 mg
    Vitamin C 37.5 mg
    Vitamin B2 500 mcg

Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: 14 mos, no longer wants mommy milk during the day

Hi debbers, are you saying she doesn't want to drink plain water? It has to be the water with the electrolyte replacement?

I'm guessing from the ingredient list that the electrolyte replacement tablets make the water sort of sweet? It looks like it has low calorie and no calorie sweeteners.

I'm guessing from the ingredient list that the tablets make water taste like lemonade. So how about making her some water with lemon juice and a bit of honey or sugar? That's a more whole foods approach than the tablets, which have some things I wouldn't be comfortable giving a baby unless they were absolutely necessary- e.g. the polyethylene glycol, the sorbitol...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Hi debbers, are you saying she doesn't want to drink plain water? It has to be the water with the electrolyte replacement?
    I would prefer water. I'm on the losing side of that battle with my husband who works from home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'm guessing from the ingredient list that the tablets make water taste like lemonade. So how about making her some water with lemon juice and a bit of honey or sugar? That's a more whole foods approach than the tablets, which have some things I wouldn't be comfortable giving a baby unless they were absolutely necessary- e.g. the polyethylene glycol, the sorbitol...
    I'm hoping the Ped can give me ammo that will deter my husband from giving her the electrolyte tablets. When I'm home she only gets breast milk straight from the Dairy Queen

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    she might drink water. I just can't control home from the workplace.

OK, so it sounds like the question isn't what your daughter likes about the tablets; the question is what your husband likes about giving your daughter the tablets.

I think there are multiple arguments to be made in favor of water. One, she doesn't get crap she doesn't need. Two, what if you are out and about and she gets thirsty and you don't have the electrolyte replacement available? If she gets used to only drinking water with the replacement, then she throws a fit if only plain water is available (theoretically). What is DH's argument for not giving her regular water?