Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant Nursing 22 Month Old

Default Constant Nursing 22 Month Old

My daughter is almost 22 months old and still nurses 20ish times per day. It's driving me crazy. We can't really go out a lot and she will beg to nurse even if we are in out back yard. She wants to nurse instead of eating and especially instead of drinking. I thought we were getting somewhere 2 months ago when she was finally drinking about 4-6oz of almond milk and/or water per day, but she barely touches a sippy cup again. I've tried smoothies, purees, different foods, the same foods, etc, but she really only wants her milk. She was FTT as an infant, but is fine now at 24lbs and 32.5in. She nurses to sleep and wakes screaming to nurse at least twice per night, but usually 4-6 times in the 8-9 hours she sleeps. I'm purely exhausted. I need advice on how to move towards more solids/other liquids and less breast milk.

Default Re: Constant Nursing 22 Month Old

Can't help you because we're in exactly the same boat (minus the frustration--I have a cushy SAH schedule), but I wanted to say you aren't alone. Hope you get the answers you need from other experiences mothers.

((Hugs))

Have you tried setting limits when out and about? Things like "we will not nurse while we're at the grocery store, we'll nurse when we get home" or "not at the park, but when we get back to the car"- those can really cut down on nursing and incentivize your toddler to eat/drink more non-breastmilk choices. You just have to be firm about it, and that's the hard part!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Out and about isn't an issue. She barely nurses while we are out. She nursed about 5 times in a 13 hour period when we went to a local theme park for the day. She drank tons of juice/water, but barely touched solid foods unless they were sugary.

Okay, the my prescription is this: avoid your house like it is on fire. Try to get your days into a pattern of being out in the morning, back home for lunch and a nap, and then out all afternoon, too. Doesn't matter where you go- park, playgroup, big box store. Just avoid the location that is triggering your LO to nurse. Good luck!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We've been gone a lot this summer. We were even gone m-f one week and w-sun the week after. It didn't change how she acts at home. We also can't just go out. We live right off of a major highway on a small road. I need stuff we can do here. Offering other things and saying no has led to multiple breakdowns and lots of (her) hitting here today. And she still nursed about 7 times.

what about going a bit slower then and introducing short, progressively longer delays? "as soon as x", "after y", "z first", etc.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am confused. Is is 7 times a day or 20ish? Or was it 20 times yesterday and 7 today? What frequency would you be ok with-or are you looking to wean entirely soon?

Weaning is a idealy a very gradual process. If sessions are cut out too rapidly, that will typically lead to anger and confusion. Nursing is an important part of your child's life. If the nursing frequency is too much for you, of course it is time to start cutting back. But you may have an easier time of it if you take it a slowly and gradually.

Children nurse for reasons other than hunger/thirst, although of course a toddler still nurses for those reasons as well. But I assume you are offering plenty of healthy food and water frequently. So being hungry or thirsty is probably not the reason for this high frequency of nursing. I suggest, think about other reasons your child might want to nurse. Is she perhaps tired? bored? wanting your attention? If those needs are met other ways, that may help reduce how often she asks to nurse.

Tips for at home-
    don't assume a nursing postion. If you usually nurse on the couch, avoid sitting the couch, for example.
    Substituting/redirecting "Lets do ________ instead' It need not be food. Go outside, play this game, read this book, etc.
    Time limits. For example "You may nurse for as long as it takes me to count to 20. Then give her a choice that you can live with "Should I count 20 dogs or 20 horses?"

many articles on weaning. http://www.llli.org/nb/nbweaning.html

I also suggest the books how weaning happens and/or the nursing mothers guide to weaning

When I had replied yesterday, she had nursed 7 times in a few hours. I would like less than 20, but not completely weaned. If I don't assume a nursing position then I would be standing all day and I physically cannot do that. She is offered plenty of food and drink other than BM, but doesn't eat much often. Eventually I will night wean her, too. Or at least make it only twice per night. That's doable for me. I feel completely refreshed on the the random nights that she only wakes twice.