Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Consistency question

Default Consistency question

My six month old has been eating solids for almost three weeks now. He LOVES eating! I usually give him a bit to eat in the mornings and another small serving of food when we have dinner, mostly to keep him occupied. Depending on our schedule I don't always end up giving him solids in the morning. At what point do I need to have consistency with his solid food servings? Does it matter that I give him different amounts of solid food on different days? He still nurses 10 times a day or so. Thanks!

Default Re: Consistency question

I think this really depends on how much of your LOs diet is solids. I think my son was close to 18 months (at least upwards of a year) before he was dependent on getting solids regularly. And that was about a serving of cheerios daily. By that point, he'd act hungry if he didn't get them. I'm sure most kids reach that point much sooner.

I'd keep in mind the approximate calorie content of what you're feeding baby. I think toddlers need 100 calories per kilogram of body weight. Babies normally top out at 32 oz of milk a day, at 19 cal/oz, so about 600 calories. (Of course, by this logic, my son should have been consuming almost 50 oz of milk a day! I have no idea whether he was). If the solids you're routinely giving are a large percentage of those calorie requirements, your LO is going to have a hard time getting enough milk to make up for missing them one day (since your supply wouldn't adjust that quickly). If you're feeding your LO 20 calories of solids a day, it probably makes very little difference whether you're consistent.

At this point, breastmilk is making up most of his nutrition and is the most nutritious thing you can give him! Solids before one are mostly to get used to the new tastes, textures and motor skills that are needed for feeding. At six months you are just introducing solids. So personally I didn't worry about the where and when at that point. After a year, solids make up more of baby's nutritional intake. I think at that point, or in the later part of the first year (eg 11 months) it makes sense to start being more consistent about giving baby regular meals and snacks, just to get him into the routine. Although even then, when my LO was a young toddler I didn't have any qualms about favoring nursing over solids when we were together on the weekends, since I work outside the home on the weekdays. But she's an enthusiastic eater. If I had a picky eater and I was trying to encourage solids intake, I probably would have been more disciplined about frequent and consistent solids. Anyway, I guess the bottom line is, at this point I would definitely not worry about it! It sounds like he's doing great.

I think at what point you need to be consistent depends on what purpose you think being consistent is going to serve. Some folks think kids have to be trained to eat at certain times or everyone in the house eats at different times and it's crazy. I now have a 10 year old, a 7 year old, and a one year old, plus my husband and myself, and I have never found this to be an issue. Everyone is pretty happy to eat at the mealtime rhythm that has just naturally developed. Only when timing of sports practices make eating together impossible do I have problems with multiple meal times!

Certainly at this age I would suggest you need not be consistent at all. Your baby is being introduced to solids, usually a long and gradual process. Baby is still living and growing on breastmilk. In the normal course of things, solids will not totally replace breastmilk for a long time yet-many months to even a couple years, depending on how long you plan to nurse your baby.

When introducing my kids to solid foods, I have also usually offered food to my babies when I ate so I could sit down and eat too. It was just a matter of how many times a day. So I might start offering the solid meals only once or twice a week, then once every other day, then once a day, then twice, then 3 and in later toddlerhood, the 3 meals plus snacks. What time exactly depended on many things. Then later, I fed them when they asked, plus family/mommy meal times. But this has always gone in fits and starts, not in a consistent linear fashion.

Also, and I think this is important and hard to do sometimes- I offer the food. I don’t necessarily expect baby or child to be hungry and want to eat when I am (although as I said before as they get older we fall into a family rhythm) And as they get older I do not withhold food if THEY are hungry. All that gets you is a bad mood. I mean, I never withhold food, at any age, but when child is still nursing then nursing is a convenient snack.

So I have never worried very much about consistency. If my kids get hungry shortly before a meal I am cooking is ready, I don’t tell them to wait, I offer fruit or vegetables. (Or some meat for the one I can never get to eat enough protein.) It is amazing what they will eat without argument if they are really hungry. So I use it to my advantage.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; September 17th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Thank you! Your replies were very helpful.

Hey!
    I have a 6 month old too and was wondering the same thing. Then I just kinda started sitting him down around my own lunch time (which I always plan in between his feedings) and offer him something to eat then. That way we eat together, usually around the same time (+/-30min) and it gives me some sense of a consistency. He is mostly content by just picking stuff from my plate, kinda playing with food, feeling the texture.... He just loves that and he loves chewing on things. He just destroyed four big-ish pieces of broccoli so I am not worried that he wouldn't like eating.
    In about two weeks time I'll do the same around breakfast, just sit him down with me (he plays now on the floor now while I eat, he's pretty content that way) and offer him a bread crust/piece of fruit and see what he does.
    However, I do stay at home full time with him so I can 'afford' to build this kind of a rhythm and have it around my usual meal times.

Good luck and I hope your baby will love exploring new stuff!