Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did my milk ever come in??? Please help!

Default Did my milk ever come in??? Please help!

Hi all,

My baby boy was born on November 18th and I am not sure my milk has come in yet. I started breastfeeding in the hospital but due to a drop in his birth weight we had to supplement with formula which caused him to not want to breastfeed. Because of this and some medication I was put on and am still on I started to pump to keep the milk coming but I don't think my milk has come in yet. I never felt engorged and I only get between 5-10 ml out of each breast. I still am continuing to only pump, any suggestions on how to increase my milk supply??

Default Did my milk ever come in?? Please help!

Hi all,

My baby boy was born on November 18th and I am not sure my milk has come in yet. I started breastfeeding in the hospital but due to a drop in his birth weight we had to supplement with formula which caused him to not want to breastfeed. Because of this and some medication I was put on and am still on I started to pump to keep the milk coming but I don't think my milk has come in yet. I never felt engorged and I only get between 5-10 ml out of each breast. I still am continuing to only pump, any suggestions on how to increase my milk supply??

Default Re: Did my milk ever come in?? Please help!

The absolute best way to increase your milk is to put the baby to the breast. Even if he isn't getting a nutritive feed at first and you still are supplementing after having him suck even for a little while will greatly help with your supply. Also eating oatmeal helped and if you have a health food store near you they have an herb called fenugreek (think it comes in a pill form now) and a tea called Mother's Milk. All of these things will help to increase your supply and are safe for baby. But my best advice would be to get the baby to breast as much as possible. If you are getting 5-10mls out then more than likely your milk has come in. The pump never gets as much out as the baby can. Also try your best to relax and not to stress. Stress can hinder the supply also. I know it's hard to relax with a newborn but it does help. Best of luck to you and congratulations on the amazing new addition to your family!

Default Re: Did my milk ever come in?? Please help!

What type of pump are you using?

If I understand you correctly your ds is not nursing right now, is that right?

How often/long do you pump for?

Default Re: Did my milk ever come in??? Please help!

For some women, milk doesn't come in until 10 days after birth.

I would start by ditching the bottles and feed only at the breast or out of a cup. Also, ditch the paci if you're using one. Your baby is young enough that if you take away the bottle and paci, you'll get him back to the breast!

Good luck!

what are your goals with breastfeeding? Getting the baby back to the breast or just pumping? There are lots of things you can do to increase your supply.
    How often are you pumping?
    A lll LEader would be able to help you more try and get ahold of your local leader.

Hi Amy,
    In the interest of simplicity I merged these two threads together. That way you will have all info in one place.

way to go leader kate.
    I bet that will help.