Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions about SNS

Default Questions about SNS

I have been using SNS to increase supply and give my daughter supplements (she lost some 5 ounces in three weeks) for 8 days. However for the last four days she has taken more of the supplement and less of me. Increasing about 3 ounces per day. I know that I am getting more milk because at night I let her sleep and get up and pump once before she awakes and I last night I pumped 3 ounces. More than I have gotten pumping the for 2 months.

Is this normal to have and increase before she starts nursing more from me?

Any suggetions?

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. We are just trying to stick to it! It gets easier to manage everything everyday. She also is a great happy baby right now! I am so blessed.

Default Re: Questions about SNS

Hi,

Admittedly, I'm probably a little confused, but how do you know that she is getting "less of you"? It sounds like your milk supply is going up quite a bit. Have you tried just nursing her without the SNS and see if she is satisfied?

Tiana

Oh, and I should have remembered to say that it is AWESOME that she is a happier baby and you are feeling better about things now. Yeah for you!

I would nurse first without the SNS. It sounds like your supply is up. Never use the SNS through the whole feed. That is how my twins got hooked on it due to bad LC advice. Nurse as much as possible without the SNS to get your supply back up. I think you should be on the road soon to success. The younger the baby, the less chance of getting hooked on the SNS. My twins started taking more and more from the SNS and then it was down hill. It turned out that my twins have a bubble palate and they had a hard time expressing the milk. If I had the right help in the beginning, they would have gotten suckling training and then would have been off of the SNS. Find help if you need it. Just make sure it is the right kind. Both of my LC's were known as top notched, but both had different approaches. The first one got my twins hooked. A problem that should have never happened. I wish you well!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.